Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems after moving iPhoto library to new computer

I bought a new MacBook and copied the iPhoto library from my old to the new. Maybe not the best way to do it, but it seemed to work perfectly at first. I can view pictures without any problem, but I get some errors when I try to import new photos from my iPhone.

Error1:
Connection failed
The server "NameOfMyOldMac" may not exist or is unavailable.... blah blah blah

Error2:
The volume for "NameOfNewPhoto(s)TryingToBeImported" cannot be found.
Insert the disk or connect to the server volume and wait for... blah blah blah
Cancel - Find Photo - or OK

After taking a while to eventually time out, I can click OK or cancel to the errors and the photos import with no problem. It's obviously looking for something on my old mac. It sounds like it thinks the iPhoto Library is still there, but I can't seem to find the file(s) that reference the old name.

For kicks, I renamed my new mac to my old mac's name and just got a different error.

MacBookPro6,2, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2010 5:03 PM

14 replies

Jun 3, 2010 5:07 PM in response to CWainright@me

is the original library on your old Mac a managed library (the advanced iPhoto preference to "copy imported items to the iPhoto library" is in its default checked state) - or a referenced library (that preference has been unchecked)?

How did you "copy the iPhoto Library"? - the correct way is to drag it over intact as a single entity from the old system to the new system

LN

Jun 27, 2010 10:03 AM in response to CWainright@me

I have the exact same problem. My original iPhoto was on an old MacBook Pro. I just purchased a new Mac Mini and copied both the iPhoto library as well as my "Albums" directory where I stored all the photos. On the MacBook Pro I had the "Copy items to the iPhoto library" unchecked. Now all the photos I try to access from iPhoto on the Mac Mini give an error that it is trying to connect to the MacBook Pro, but cannot find the old "Albums" directory. Thankfully, I backed everything up before I started so I can redo it again, but I've tried twice without success (once just copying the directory, and once using migration assistant.)

So, how can I successfully move iPhoto from my MacBook Pro to the Mac Mini while preserving the unchecked state of "Copy items to the iPhoto library?"

Thank you!
Jesse

Sep 15, 2010 2:38 PM in response to JesseZlatsin

YUP! Same problem -- moved from a 10.5.8 iMac 24" to a new 10.6.3 iMac 27" and iPhoto library is missing 3000 plus photos plus all of my albums. When I copied the Picture library over I got an error message that I needed to "Transfer the iPhoto Library from a backup disk. I have all my files on a Time Machine drive -- but the New Computer doesn't recognize the files in that either. Apple is starting to remind me more and more of Microsoft -- get a new computer -- get more problems.

Sep 15, 2010 3:51 PM in response to Yer_Man

I guess the only information I can offer is what the people wrote in the posts ahead of me. I did check into the PhotoLibraryManager Software and I can get a free trial copy of that. I guess I agree with the person above -- it's aggravating to have to go find software to do something Apple should do with it's own software.
Thanks for your response, though. If you have any suggestions for moving an iPhoto library, I am sure it may help others -- not just me.

Sep 16, 2010 10:32 AM in response to crna

Well here's how to move a Library from one Mac to another:

Link the two Macs together: there are several ways to do this: Wireless Network, Firewire Target Disk Mode, Ethernet, or even just copy the Library to an external HD and then on to the new machine...

But however you do choose to link the two machines...

Simply copy the iPhoto Library from the Pictures Folder on the old Machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine.

Then launch iPhoto. That's it.

This moves photos, events, albums, books, keywords, slideshows and everything else.

Regards

TD

Sep 19, 2010 2:39 PM in response to Yer_Man

Tried all that. Tried to transfer from my CCClone (FW), my Time Machine backup (USB), directly from another computer by FW-- finally gave up and bought PhotoLibraryManager -- as someone suggested above -- and it opened my Library, set up all the old albums and all was well. Too bad Apple can't include a program in the system that will do that.
Go figure. So get PhotoLibraryManager -- it works!

Jan 2, 2012 12:11 PM in response to crna

Same problem. A new Mac Mini, and old Mac Book Pro running 10.5.5 and iPhot 6 or something similar.

Followed the instructions to the letter and iPhoto 11 seemed to import fine. A cursory check seemed everything to be OK. However, I had previously had the photo library located on a NetGear ReadyNAS box and later on when that drive wasn't on, I had trouble locating some photos. No pattern, just that trying to load some pictures causes the spinning ball to appear then "Device ReadyNAS is not available" and then the dreaded "Do You Want to Try and Locate this Photo?"

Turning the NAS box back on again removes the problem, so it looks like for some reason some of the pictures still think they are located there. I've tried all the iPhoto library repair options, but no luck. I have deleted old 'rolls' then reimported the images from the Mac Mini drive which of course cures the problem, but I have no way of knowing which of the 8000+ images are causing issues until I double click the thumbnail.

Most oddly, even when I have gone through the 'find photo' process and located the image on the new drive, it won't disply it. It still requies me to find the full old pathname.

Is there anyway of searching the library for broken links so that I can assess the scale of the issue? Other than downloading 3rd party software?

Problems after moving iPhoto library to new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.