Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken beyond repair?

Continued from a previous topic here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2393098&tstart=0

To sum up, Qmaster doesn't work and nothing I've seen can fix it. I've tried any and all of the conventional fixes I've heard here on the forums (reset services, Compressor Repair, killing preferences, less than 16 character cluster name) and have finally resorted to reinstalling.

I partitioned my Time Machine Drive and cloned my main HDD onto the second partition, for safety so while I experiment I can always go back to my main drive and get back to work.

I cloned it, installed 10.6 (because 10.6.3 might be the problem), no change.
I cloned it, reinstalled FCS2, no change.
I cloned it, used FCS remover to wipe Compressor and Qmaster, reinstalled FCS2, no change.
I cloned it, used FCS remover to wipe all of FCS2, reinstalled FCS2, and it worked, but only for a few moments. I can't be sure what set it off again but as before, but the end of the story is my cluster would no longer show up in the drop down lists of Compressor, Droplet, or Shake (as described in the previous thread linked at the top)

Now I've cloned it, installed 10.6, removed FCS2, installed FCS2, no change.

Basically I've done everything that can be done to get Qmaster it's virginity back without a complete drive wipe and successive reinstall of all my software. Any ideas of settings and such that might be blocking my ability to use Qmaster? It's pretty frustrating having 16 cores and a home network ready to crunch numbers and 'This Computer" remains the only thing available in my Qmaster-tied drop down lists. Apple, please at least have the decency to tell us that Qmaster is half-finished alpha software and not a reliable release of any sort, only to be "used at the risk of your own frustration" (you can guess this isn't my first tango with Qmaster)

Mac Pro Octo2.26GHz Nahalem, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 4, 2010 3:42 PM

1 reply

Jun 4, 2010 7:50 PM in response to Eisen Feuer

Eisen,
If it were me I'd spend the money on the FCS3 upgrade. There's something odd in your machine itself. I run Qmaster just fine on both Leopard and Snow Leopard and with FCS2 and 3. It's not the software itself. Now I have everything on SL and FCS3 on MacPros and MBP laptops. No issues. Now, is this the only thing you have installed on the machine? Absolutely no other apps? And have you done the software updates?

Broken beyond repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.