You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! IPhone charger started FIRE

Help! So my phone was plugged into the charger, in the wall, like normal, when I smelled something burning... it was the charger end! I immediately unplugged it to stop fire hazards, but the burning already had damaged the inside of my iphone, enough to where it works, but cannot be charged, so therefore is dead.
I went to buy a new charger, and tried it out but it didn't work. SO it is the old charger's fault. And then to my surprise, I researched this problem, and apparently there have been many other cases of it happening!! Also, Im not sure if this is correct, but maybe.. there was a recall on the type of wall chargers they give you with a new iphone a year ago, but are these the ones they are still giving now?

My phone is only four months old. So it is under warranty. What will happen when I go to the apple store? Will it be replaced immediately? For free or will I have to pay? I am leaving on a trip in two days and really need to have my phone for emergencies.
Don't get me wrong, I love apple products, but it is very frustrating when there is a risk of my apartment catching on fire, and having to buy a whole new phone because of something that is not my fault.
Thanks for your help!!

3GS

Posted on Jun 5, 2010 11:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2010 11:40 AM

It's possible that your wall outlet was the culprit rather than the AC power supply. I would let your landlord know that the power outlet may be defective so he can check the wiring and circuit breakers.

The AC adapter recall was for the 3G adapter because the prong would break off. It had nothing to do with power surges causing fires.

The only way to find out if Apple will replace the phone is an appointment at the Genius Bar - http://apple.com/retail/geniusbar
4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 5, 2010 11:40 AM in response to NicoleMaylin

It's possible that your wall outlet was the culprit rather than the AC power supply. I would let your landlord know that the power outlet may be defective so he can check the wiring and circuit breakers.

The AC adapter recall was for the 3G adapter because the prong would break off. It had nothing to do with power surges causing fires.

The only way to find out if Apple will replace the phone is an appointment at the Genius Bar - http://apple.com/retail/geniusbar

Jun 5, 2010 1:05 PM in response to NicoleMaylin

The charger end ?, you mean the burning was the multiconnector that plugs into the end of the phone ?.

This doesn't sound like an ac outlet fault to me more like a faulty psu, psu connector or the phone itself. I cannot see what could go wrong in the ac outlet that could cause this. Perhaps a power surge, but that is a supply company fault, not the ac outlet point.

Your phone and all the parts that came boxed with it are under warranty and I see no problems having it replaced. (Don't mention to Apple that someone has told you that they think it was a faulty ac outlet, just state if asked that it was used correctly, as it was).

Help! IPhone charger started FIRE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.