Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macro virus removal

Macro virus

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this Macro Virus from my word documents? Every document that I have created for the last year or more has them. Including every copy of my book! Problem is that I didn't know it was a problem when I kept seeing the warning. I guess an important question is, "is a MACRO a VIRUS?" Or are macros normal but sometimes people use them to embed the virus? I'm not sure. Before I assumed the later. But now I'm thinking that a macro is a virus. Will someone clear this up? More importantly, will someone tell me a good program that well remove them please. Oh and the program has to work with 10.4. I'm not putting any of this stuff on my 10.6 machine.

powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11), word 2004

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 10:07 AM

7 replies

Jun 6, 2010 12:25 PM in response to Jason McCammon

Word Virus on Mac – W97M.Thus.gen-2...

http://www.lifebloodproject.com/wordpress/archives/311

1. I just opened up Word (and a new, blank document if it doesn’t open automatically).

2. The go to “Tools -> Macros -> Visual Basic Editor”

3. On the Left is a box called “Projects”. The default selection is the blank document that you have open. Above that will be a cascading menu that will say “Normal”. (See the picture)

4. Once you click on “ThisDocument” a bunch of code will show up in the main window. Just select it all (Apple+A) and then delete it. All of it. Don’t spare a single character.

5. Save the changes (Apple+S, or select “Save Normal” under the File Menu)

6. Quit the editor (Apple+Q, or “Close and Return to Microsoft Word” under the Word Menu)

7. Close Word.

That is it! You are all done!!

See the last two posts here...

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-68223.html

Jun 6, 2010 2:09 PM in response to Jason McCammon

I'm getting that message, "could not fire event with every new document that I open as well. And now when I go to Macro's it says, " could not open macro storage. And everything in the projects box is blank. But I still get the macro error when I open documents.

Would it help if I just started running everything from, "Open Office," and just shut down the macros it detects? What will this do for my ebook? will it be a problem?

Thanks

Macro virus removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.