Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound from speakers

I've had my iPad for about 36 hours and for the last 24 the sound hasn't worked. When turning the iPad back on, the sound works for a second but then quits working. The volume buttons on the side do not do anything when pushed. I've adjusted the volume from settings and it is turned up but no sounds comes out. In the iPod app, it says "dock connected" even when it isn't plugged in. My headphones work great, there's just no sound from the speakers. I've restored the iPad and there is no change. Hardware failure or am I doing something wrong?

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 2, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPhone 3GS, iPad WiFi

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 11:06 AM

43 replies

Jul 11, 2010 4:21 PM in response to kennyli

Guys,

I have exactly the same issue here. The iPad speakers appear not to work and the volume indicator in the iPod app is replaced by the words "dock connector". We took it in to the nearest apple store and the guy took it in the back for a while, then came back out and stated there was water damage. This apparently was evidenced by a little bit of pink showing up close to the connector inside the iPad. I'm saying a little bit because I've seen the results of a phone being dunked: the whole indicator turns the same color. In our iPad, it's literally just a little bit.

I have several issues with this:
a) in the 3 weeks that we've had this thing, we've taken extremely good care of it: we have both an invisishield on it and a leather case for it. It ale ays stays in the living room or my desk, in either case, well away from water sources, so it's highly unlikely that water damage actually would have occurred.
b) The indicators are not all pink. Instead, only a little parts of it are... If there had been actual water, I am fairly confident we would have seen the whole indicator acquire a pink colorati
a

Jul 22, 2010 10:48 AM in response to Brian92610

It will have a problem if you don't use the iPad connection cord that came with the iPad, you can't use any other cord other than the one that the iPad came with. I had the same problem. I had plugged in another cord other than the ipad's original USB charger cord to charge it, the cord charged the iPad just fine but the sound was not working, it was showing up as it being plugged into a docking station when clearly it was not. The reason for the no sound issue is the iPad thinks that it no longer needs to play sound through the built in speakers because it thinks that, being plugged in to a docking station, it must play sound externally through the (nonexistent) docking station's speakers. As a result the iPad has no sound. I'm not sure why it would do that but, apple products are particular with software, hardware and accessories. Because as soon as I plugged in the USB charge cord that came with my iPad the sound worked fine. Hope this sorta helps!

If you can't understand me it's 3:50AM here so forgive any improper grammar.

Aug 29, 2010 9:02 AM in response to Brian92610

Hi All -

After reading this thread (yes, my sound stopped working on my iPad as well) it occurred to me this was a problem with the iPad dock. I had just finished charging my iPad with the dock when the sound didn't work when I turned it on. I came to this thread and saw the references to the iPod saying "dock connected". So I put my iPad back on the dock and held down the power button for a complete restart.

Whlah, my sound now works fine! Hope this helps the rest of you:)

Arctic Frost

Nov 6, 2010 5:19 PM in response to Brian92610

Guys I figured it out !! Same thing happened to me, I was listening to music on iPad while doing dishes, and it fell into the sink... Don't laugh it's true. I was so frightened because I couldn't get the sound to work just like you guys (showing connector sign on iPod page) Then the funniest thing happened, i used a hairdryer and blew through the connector hole and then I see that ******* sound sign appeared again. It worked for me anyways just want to share this. I don't guarantee it's gonna work for everyone but at least mine did Hahaha

Dec 22, 2010 1:41 PM in response to shaloooooooom

Assuming that you are on iOS 4.2, is the notification mute switch (the old rotation lock) 'on' ? Rotation lock is now a software function on the taskbar in 4.2 and the button now mutes notifications e.g. so that you can watch videos or listen to music without hearing email notifications etc.

Rotation lock : double-click the home button, slide from the left, and its the button far right; press home again to exit the taskbar; repeat to switch off rotation lock.

Mar 1, 2011 5:22 AM in response to Brian92610

I don't understand the problem I'm having. Last night I'm watching a movie, this morning I check my email and no sound. I checked everything. Speakers are on. Checked settings and it shows sound set at full blast. I go to play a game and can't see the icon for sound when I tap it to make it louder or lower the sound. Please help. I even reset my iPad and that didn't work
Angle

No sound from speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.