Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan broken! Replacement available?

I have a G4 that's working just great. But the lower fan started making a very loud noise. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? Thanks for any help!

G4 Power Mac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 10:58 AM

13 replies

Jun 7, 2010 11:13 AM in response to Deborah Davis

Hi Deborah, you'll likely have to tell us the exact G4 since there were so many different ones.

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac.

Then click on More Info>Hardware and report this upto *but not including the Serial#*...

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G5 Quad
Machine Model: PowerMac11,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 4
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 10 GB
Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1

If perchance it's an MDD model, see this...

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/g4mirrored_drive_doors/noise_reduction/g4_ddr_noisereduction.html

Jun 8, 2010 7:31 AM in response to BDAqua

If you take out the old fan and:

Copy the data on the sticker on the Hub (manufacturer and part number).
Measure the distance between adjacent mounting holes in mm (e.g., 90mm)
Measure the thickness in mm (e,g., 25 mm)

You can look up the part number and find the maximum air moved in Cubic Feet per Minute (cfm), and the maximum sound level in deciBells (dB). You probably can only order an exact replacement from the manufacturer in the "handy" 10,000-pack.

You will need a same-physical-sized fan with at least the same air-moving ability, and quieter is better. A commercial office has about a 35 dB sound level, a chain saw about 95 dB, and the scale is logarithmic. \[Slightly bigger numbers are WAY louder.]

This site has an assortment that may help you see what is available:

http://www.buyextras.com/dc12vfans.html

Jun 8, 2010 7:38 AM in response to Deborah Davis

The fan is a 120mm x 120mm x 25mm 86-88 CFM 12v fan rated at 35 or 37dB (Minebea and Senseflow, respectively).

Most any fan of the same dimension and equivalent or greater CFM can be used.
Splicing the OEM fan connector to the red and black lead of the replacement fan will allow for same as stock connection.
If a replacement is 3 wire, the yellow wire is simply not used.

Jun 10, 2010 1:43 AM in response to Deborah Davis

Please don't spend 40+ on a 120mm fanlike the true replacement. Even the best fans in the computing industry retail for only about half that. In my opinion Antec and Noctua make thew best fans. Avoid sleeve bearing fans as many don't live past a year. The 120mm Noctua in my case even has a 6 years warrantee and when I held it in my hands you can tell it has amazing build quality. Very high end fan. I paid $18 canadian for it.

Jun 10, 2010 6:42 PM in response to Deborah Davis

I bought one of these almost two years ago and have been very pleased with it, once I corrected a mistake I made when installing it (it needed to be positioned it so that the sensor was in the same orientation as the original fan's sensor).
It is quieter under light use, and about the same sound level as the original fan under load while moving about 20% more air than the original.

Fan broken! Replacement available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.