Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't initialize Audio Units

I've been running Komplete 6 (Kontakt, Massive, Reaktor etc.) and OmniSphere/Stylus for some time. The other day, when I started up Logic (version 9.1.1), it said "reinitializing Audio Units" and all of my softsynths are now gone from the Channel Strip insert (where I usually grab them). I went into Audio Unit Manager and rescanned manually for each one. They all validate. I've updated all of the synths from the Native and Spectrasonics websites. Any idea what gives? I'm baffled and want my sounds back. The Apple-provided synths all work fine (EVP etc.)

Thank you! I'm about to throw my head through a wall.

iMac 28 Ghz; 4G ram; Logic 9.1.1; OS 10.6.3; M-Audio Profire 610 midi box.

iMac 2.8Ghz; 4M Ram, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 7:29 PM

8 replies

Jun 8, 2010 4:09 PM in response to Sampleconstruct

I did as you suggested and it found (re-found) and validated 38 AUs, but the same problem exists. I can't see them in the channel strip plug in like I always have. Do you think it has something to do with 64 bit v 32 bit compatability?

The rescan found Reaktor and FM8, but not Kontakt, Massive, Guitar Rig 4, OmniSphere, Stylus or Battery 3.

Jun 8, 2010 4:13 PM in response to Facie

I also just noticed one other thing, but I'm not sure what it means. In Logic's Audio Unit Manager, for all of the soft synths that are dead but validated, the "Node" box is NOT checked (nor can I manually check it). Any idea what that means? Seems like it's not a coincidence to me.

Jun 8, 2010 7:14 PM in response to Facie

Facie wrote:
I did as you suggested and it found (re-found) and validated 38 AUs, but the same problem exists. I can't see them in the channel strip plug in like I always have. Do you think it has something to do with 64 bit v 32 bit compatability?

The rescan found Reaktor and FM8, but not Kontakt, Massive, Guitar Rig 4, OmniSphere, Stylus or Battery 3.

Are you running Logic as a 64 bit application?

If yes : then that is your issue, as not many plug ins are 64 bit, and will no longer show up in Logic.

If no : you need to do what the other poster suggested and reset the file that tells Logic what plug ins actually exist, and force it to rescan all of them.

As far as the Channel Strips, these are located in your Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/

Check to see if they are still there. These are *.cst extension files.

If they are, then a Logic preference file may be corrupted.

Cheers

Jun 8, 2010 10:38 PM in response to Facie

the "Node" box is NOT checked

This has no relevance to your issue. It just means that this AU does not support distributed processing. See the user manual ( pdf, p. 49).

I can't see them in the channel strip plug in like I always have.

Do you mean they are no longer on the menu where you were previously able to find them and select them?

Along the lines of what noeqplease was getting at, see what happens if you launch Logic in 32-bit mode. Or are you already in that mode?

Jun 14, 2010 7:24 AM in response to 45rpm

Hi there,

I am having the exact same problem. It happened after I installed a software update for my UAD card. I have rescanned the audio units repeatedly in both 32bit and 64bit modes. I can even see them scanning the plugins (Omnisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD2, Kontakt 4, UVI etc etc) but none of them appear on the drop down menu on the channel strips therefore - cannot be used at all.

More info: It DOES see Apple AUs and some Native Instrument AUs (some of the Komplete 6 selection, but not Kontakt 3 or 4). Also, in 32 bit mode the instruments do appear in the Audio Units Manager, but still not the drop down menu on the channel strip)

It would take hours to re-install logic and all of my virtual instruments so if anyone has any idea what's going on I would be really grateful for some help. I'm tearing my hair out working to a deadline.

Cheers

Can't initialize Audio Units

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.