Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow torrent files - what settings on the mac firewall software?

Novice in the home computing world and particularly mac.

I have downloaded the bittorrent client and have changed my settings on my router to open ports 6881-6999.

Which settings on the system preference on the mac are required?

allow FTP?

Many Thanks

powerbook, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Nov 25, 2005 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2005 7:19 AM

As long as your Mac opens the connection (which is the case with a torrent client), you do not need to open anything on its firewall.
You would allow specific ports open at the firewall level if you wanted your Mac accept requests from the outside, like FTP access for uploads.
As far as the slowness of your torrent files download is concerned, it has probably nothing to do with Mac OS X firewall because a firewall cannot slow a flow, it can stop it or let it through. It is probably the other end that does not have enough bandwidth.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2005 7:19 AM in response to keithraw

As long as your Mac opens the connection (which is the case with a torrent client), you do not need to open anything on its firewall.
You would allow specific ports open at the firewall level if you wanted your Mac accept requests from the outside, like FTP access for uploads.
As far as the slowness of your torrent files download is concerned, it has probably nothing to do with Mac OS X firewall because a firewall cannot slow a flow, it can stop it or let it through. It is probably the other end that does not have enough bandwidth.

Nov 26, 2005 9:45 AM in response to keithraw

Keith,

I'm behind a firewall/NAT, can I use BitTorrent?
Yes, but you will get better performance if other peers can connect to you.

Here is everything you need to know about ports to open with firewalls when dealing with bit torrent protocol based p2p applications. Here in even more detail of why and how you will get poor/slow p2p performance behind a firewall, if you need it.

If you use the default port numbers you do not have to change the client software as they use these ports as "well known" for the bit torrent protocol. This makes it easy for the ISPs to monitor network traffic based on the port numbers and build lists of overall percentages of traffic in their systems that are bit torrent based and who is using them. If you want to gain a tiny bit more security you can pick a random high number port such as 46712 and open that in the firewall for incoming tcpip traffic but you will then have to configure the same number in your client software's preferences.

Slow torrent files - what settings on the mac firewall software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.