You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell when someone I call is on another call

How do. I know when someone I call is already on another call. My previous phone displayed that the receiver was engaged? iPhone just keeps ringing???

Iphone

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 2:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 4:37 AM

When a person I call is already engaged in another conversation my iPhone doesn't signal an engaged tone or call waiting message. It just keeps giving me a ring ring tone. My nokia phone did. If I know the person I am ringing is already on a call, rather than keep annoying them by letting the phone ring, I would hang up and try again in a few minutes. Even an engaged signal would be better than nothing!!!

Was hoping it would be fixed with new iPhone 4 technology. Doesn't appear so!! How dissapointing that something so simple that my nokia phone did iPhone can't

Ps same carrier optus
3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2010 4:37 AM in response to Shirilee

When a person I call is already engaged in another conversation my iPhone doesn't signal an engaged tone or call waiting message. It just keeps giving me a ring ring tone. My nokia phone did. If I know the person I am ringing is already on a call, rather than keep annoying them by letting the phone ring, I would hang up and try again in a few minutes. Even an engaged signal would be better than nothing!!!

Was hoping it would be fixed with new iPhone 4 technology. Doesn't appear so!! How dissapointing that something so simple that my nokia phone did iPhone can't

Ps same carrier optus

Jun 8, 2010 3:48 AM in response to Shirilee

Surely if the phone keeps ringing that tells you they're not on another call? Either they cannot hear the phone, it's not conevnient to answer..or they know it's you 🙂

If the phone goes straight to voicemail then they could on another call, or the phone's not switched on, or they have no signal. I don't think there is a surefire way to know they're on another call.

Jun 8, 2010 6:11 AM in response to Shirilee

I understand what you mean. If using a Nokia phone, when you call someone already engaged in another phone conversation, a "beep" with a little message (something as "waiting call" or similar) informs you that the called person is already engaged.
With iPhone, no message or beep are generated, so that, it rings normally...
By my experience, it depends from the phone, and not from the Carrier!

How can I tell when someone I call is on another call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.