Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I "Reply All" on an email, it gets sent to me also

In any email program I have ever used, including the iPhone and Apple Mail on the Mac, when you click "Reply All", it takes your own email out of the reply list so you don't get a copy of the email you are replying to. But my iPad isn't doing that. Unless I manually take my address out, when I do a "Reply All", it includes my name in the reply and I get the email in both my Sent folder and Inbox.

I've looked for an option to disable this, but can't find one. Frankly, I've never seen an option to turn this kind of thing off and on. It's basically just doesn't happen and you can't change. But with my iPad, it basically does happen and it appears you can't change that behavior.

Any clues? If this is the way it works, this has to be a bug and not a design flaw. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPhone 3G 16Gb

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 1:25 PM

21 replies

Jun 8, 2010 6:03 PM in response to Doug Eldred

Thanks Doug, but I checked and that's not it either.

What I just did to test this problem out was to do a "Reply All" on the same exact email message. I tried it from my iPad and then from my Mac. I didn't actually send the message, but when I looked at the resulting replied email right before I would have sent it, the one on my iPad had one extra email in the "Cc" field - mine. The one on my Mac correctly excluded my email in the reply.

This isn't a show stopping problem by any stretch, but it sure is strange.

Jun 9, 2010 6:22 PM in response to eddieb3

I figured out the problem on accident. Very long story short here. I use a MobileMe email account. When I set up the iPad, it set the account up automatically for me based on my email address, etc. But I just ran across the fact that when it set up the account automatically, it used the "@me.com" suffix on the email address. I use the "@mac.com" suffix instead. For those not familiar with MobileMe, you can use either interchangeably in the email address.

But when doing a reply all, since the email address I normally use and the one in my account settings is different, it didn't eliminate my email from "Reply All". So I changed the account email address (actually had to delete and recreate the account) and all is well.

Although your stabs at the problem didn't help me Doug, the one about the alias is similar to what the problem was and should have helped me, so I'll mark that down as "Helpful". Thanks!

May 30, 2011 1:21 PM in response to eddieb3

The company uses one email address as our default name for Exchange accounts, but people can send me emails with slightly different aliases: firstname.lastname@company.com, username@dept.company.com etc. If I reply to emails that reached me through one of these aliases, Mail does not recognize that all these addresses are actually mine. Therefore, when I "reply all", I end up on the CC list. I wonder if you have a similar problem.

I am not sure how that works on an iPad, but on Mac Mail program, I can add additional email addresses in Preferences -> Accounts -> "Account Information" tab -> "Email Address" entry, separated by one comma and a space each. This prevents Mail from replying to myself.

Aug 22, 2011 12:10 PM in response to chasing_rabbits

I'm having this issue with Exchange and Lion - Mac Mail, where my account name is {first initial}+{last name} and my alias is {first name}.{last name}@

Under preferences, accounts, email addresses, it is greyed out and I can't add my alias.

I've tried setting it up with both the real account name and alias but both grey out the email line. Thoughts?

-chris

When I "Reply All" on an email, it gets sent to me also

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.