Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving old software to new MacBook Pro: will Migration Asst allow new user?

I have an old iMac (2008-era, running 10.6.3) and an even older PowerBook G4 (2002-ish, running 10.4.11), and I've just bought a new MacBook Pro. I have all sorts of old specialty software on these two machines that I want to keep using on my new MacBook Pro. I long ago misplaced or lost track of most of the original disks for the various software, so the installed versions are all I have.

I assume I can use Migration Assistant to connect (one at a time) my older computers to my new computer and transfer everything over in Target Disk Mode; I've done this before, and it works fine. HOWEVER, my worry is that when I use Migration Assistant this way, I will necessarily have to also transfer over my old user accounts to my new machine.

And that's where my possible problem arises. I now dislike the old main user account name I choose for these old machines, and on my new MacBook Pro I want to start afresh with a completely new and different user name. But I wonder: *Will Migration Assistant allow me to transfer all the software from one computer to a different computer with a different user name? Or will doing so somehow screw up the "permissions" to use the various software programs?* Will I necessarily be compelled to transfer my unwanted old user name to the new computer if I want to continue using all my old software?

Sorry if the question is foolish in some way -- I've just never encountered this issue before, of choosing a whole new user name on a new computer. Thanks.

--------

Also, while I'm here, I might as well ask a second simple question as well:

I still use a couple of old programs that were originally designed for either System 9 or OSX 10.0, but which continue to work under 10.4.11 on a Motorola G4 chip as in my old PowerBook. Will all these old programs cease working on my new MacBook? One program in particular, Eudora 6.2.4 (no longer made and no longer supported) I want to keep using: Will it work under 10.6.3 on an Intel chip, or do I have to junk Eudora and finally start using more up-to-date mail programs (which I dislike)? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 2:33 PM

Migration Assistant can transfer an entire user account, but not selected items from a user account. You would need to migrate the user accounts and delete those you don't want or simply manually transfer what you want from one drive to the other via TDM connection.

Migration Assistant can transfer third-party applications to the Applications folder of logged in account. It will not screw up permissions unless you've done so already.

Since new Macs no longer support OS 9 that software will not work. Older OS X software may or may not work. You can only give them a try. OS X comes with its own mail program, Mail. There is also a more recent version of Eudorq as well as Thunderbird which is a Eudora derivative.

See the following regarding migrating from PPC to Intel Macs:

A Basic Guide for Migrating to Intel-Macs

If you are migrating a PowerPC system (G3, G4, or G5) to an Intel-Mac be careful what you migrate. Keep in mind that some items that may get transferred will not work on Intel machines and may end up causing your computer's operating system to malfunction.

Rosetta supports "software that runs on the PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor that are built for Mac OS X". This excludes the items that are not universal binaries or simply will not work in Rosetta:

Classic Environment, and subsequently any Mac OS 9 or earlier applications
Screensavers written for the PowerPC
System Preference add-ons
All Unsanity Haxies
Browser and other plug-ins
Contextual Menu Items
Applications which specifically require the PowerPC G5
Kernel extensions
Java applications with JNI (PowerPC) libraries

See also What Can Be Translated by Rosetta.

In addition to the above you could also have problems with migrated cache files and/or cache files containing code that is incompatible.

If you migrate a user folder that contains any of these items, you may find that your Intel-Mac is malfunctioning. It would be wise to take care when migrating your systems from a PowerPC platform to an Intel-Mac platform to assure that you do not migrate these incompatible items.

If you have problems with applications not working, then completely uninstall said application and reinstall it from scratch. Take great care with Java applications and Java-based Peer-to-Peer applications. Many Java apps will not work on Intel-Macs as they are currently compiled. As of this time Limewire, Cabos, and Acquisition are available as universal binaries. Do not install browser plug-ins such as Flash or Shockwave from downloaded installers unless they are universal binaries. The version of OS X installed on your Intel-Mac comes with special compatible versions of Flash and Shockwave plug-ins for use with your browser.

The same problem will exist for any hardware drivers such as mouse software unless the drivers have been compiled as universal binaries. For third-party mice the current choices are USB Overdrive or SteerMouse. Contact the developer or manufacturer of your third-party mouse software to find out when a universal binary version will be available.

Also be careful with some backup utilities and third-party disk repair utilities. Disk Warrior 4.1, TechTool Pro 4.6.1, SuperDuper 2.5, and Drive Genius 2.0.2 work properly on Intel-Macs with Leopard. The same caution may apply to the many "maintenance" utilities that have not yet been converted to universal binaries. Leopard Cache Cleaner, Onyx, TinkerTool System, and Cocktail are now compatible with Leopard.

Before migrating or installing software on your Intel-Mac check MacFixit's Rosetta Compatibility Index.

Additional links that will be helpful to new Intel-Mac users:

Intel In Macs
Apple Guide to Universal Applications
MacInTouch List of Compatible Universal Binaries
MacInTouch List of Rosetta Compatible Applications
MacUpdate List of Intel-Compatible Software
Transferring data with Setup Assistant - Migration Assistant FAQ

Because Migration Assistant isn't the ideal way to migrate from PowerPC to Intel Macs, using Target Disk Mode, copying the critical contents to CD and DVD, an external hard drive, or networking
will work better when moving from PowerPC to Intel Macs. The initial section below discusses Target Disk Mode. It is then followed by a section which discusses networking with Macs that lack Firewire.

If both computers support the use of Firewire then you can use the following instructions:

1. Repair the hard drive and permissions using Disk Utility.

2. Backup your data. This is vitally important in case you make a mistake or there's some other problem.

3. Connect a Firewire cable between your old Mac and your new Intel Mac.

4. Startup your old Mac in Target Disk Mode.

5. Startup your new Mac for the first time, go through the setup and registration screens, but do NOT migrate data over. Get to your desktop on the new Mac without migrating any new data over.

If you are not able to use a Firewire connection (for example you have a Late 2008 MacBook that only supports USB:)

1. Set up a local home network: Creating a small Ethernet Network.

2. If you have a MacBook Air or Late 2008 MacBook see the following:
MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008)- Migration Tips and Tricks;
MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008)- What to do if migration is unsuccessful;
MacBook Air- Migration Tips and Tricks;
MacBook Air- Remote Disc, Migration, or Remote Install Mac OS X and wireless 802.11n networks.

Copy the following items from your old Mac to the new Mac:

In your /Home/ folder: Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures, and Sites folders.

In your /Home/Library/ folder:

/Home/Library/Application Support/AddressBook (copy the whole folder)
/Home/Library/Application Support/iCal (copy the whole folder)

Also in /Home/Library/Application Support (copy whatever else you need including folders for any third-party applications)

/Home/Library/Keychains (copy the whole folder)
/Home/Library/Mail (copy the whole folder)
/Home/Library/Preferences/ (copy the whole folder)
/Home /Library/Calendars (copy the whole folder)
/Home /Library/iTunes (copy the whole folder)
/Home /Library/Safari (copy the whole folder)

If you want cookies:

/Home/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist
/Home/Library/Application Support/WebFoundation/HTTPCookies.plist

For Entourage users:

Entourage is in /Home/Documents/Microsoft User Data
Also in /Home/Library/Preferences/Microsoft

Credit goes to Macjack for this information.

If you need to transfer data for other applications please ask the vendor or ask in the Discussions where specific applications store their data.

5. Once you have transferred what you need restart the new Mac and test to make sure the contents are there for each of the applications.

Written by Kappy with additional contributions from a brody.
Revised 1/6/2009

Message was edited by: Kappy
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2010 2:33 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

Migration Assistant can transfer an entire user account, but not selected items from a user account. You would need to migrate the user accounts and delete those you don't want or simply manually transfer what you want from one drive to the other via TDM connection.

Migration Assistant can transfer third-party applications to the Applications folder of logged in account. It will not screw up permissions unless you've done so already.

Since new Macs no longer support OS 9 that software will not work. Older OS X software may or may not work. You can only give them a try. OS X comes with its own mail program, Mail. There is also a more recent version of Eudorq as well as Thunderbird which is a Eudora derivative.

See the following regarding migrating from PPC to Intel Macs:

A Basic Guide for Migrating to Intel-Macs

If you are migrating a PowerPC system (G3, G4, or G5) to an Intel-Mac be careful what you migrate. Keep in mind that some items that may get transferred will not work on Intel machines and may end up causing your computer's operating system to malfunction.

Rosetta supports "software that runs on the PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor that are built for Mac OS X". This excludes the items that are not universal binaries or simply will not work in Rosetta:

Classic Environment, and subsequently any Mac OS 9 or earlier applications
Screensavers written for the PowerPC
System Preference add-ons
All Unsanity Haxies
Browser and other plug-ins
Contextual Menu Items
Applications which specifically require the PowerPC G5
Kernel extensions
Java applications with JNI (PowerPC) libraries

See also What Can Be Translated by Rosetta.

In addition to the above you could also have problems with migrated cache files and/or cache files containing code that is incompatible.

If you migrate a user folder that contains any of these items, you may find that your Intel-Mac is malfunctioning. It would be wise to take care when migrating your systems from a PowerPC platform to an Intel-Mac platform to assure that you do not migrate these incompatible items.

If you have problems with applications not working, then completely uninstall said application and reinstall it from scratch. Take great care with Java applications and Java-based Peer-to-Peer applications. Many Java apps will not work on Intel-Macs as they are currently compiled. As of this time Limewire, Cabos, and Acquisition are available as universal binaries. Do not install browser plug-ins such as Flash or Shockwave from downloaded installers unless they are universal binaries. The version of OS X installed on your Intel-Mac comes with special compatible versions of Flash and Shockwave plug-ins for use with your browser.

The same problem will exist for any hardware drivers such as mouse software unless the drivers have been compiled as universal binaries. For third-party mice the current choices are USB Overdrive or SteerMouse. Contact the developer or manufacturer of your third-party mouse software to find out when a universal binary version will be available.

Also be careful with some backup utilities and third-party disk repair utilities. Disk Warrior 4.1, TechTool Pro 4.6.1, SuperDuper 2.5, and Drive Genius 2.0.2 work properly on Intel-Macs with Leopard. The same caution may apply to the many "maintenance" utilities that have not yet been converted to universal binaries. Leopard Cache Cleaner, Onyx, TinkerTool System, and Cocktail are now compatible with Leopard.

Before migrating or installing software on your Intel-Mac check MacFixit's Rosetta Compatibility Index.

Additional links that will be helpful to new Intel-Mac users:

Intel In Macs
Apple Guide to Universal Applications
MacInTouch List of Compatible Universal Binaries
MacInTouch List of Rosetta Compatible Applications
MacUpdate List of Intel-Compatible Software
Transferring data with Setup Assistant - Migration Assistant FAQ

Because Migration Assistant isn't the ideal way to migrate from PowerPC to Intel Macs, using Target Disk Mode, copying the critical contents to CD and DVD, an external hard drive, or networking
will work better when moving from PowerPC to Intel Macs. The initial section below discusses Target Disk Mode. It is then followed by a section which discusses networking with Macs that lack Firewire.

If both computers support the use of Firewire then you can use the following instructions:

1. Repair the hard drive and permissions using Disk Utility.

2. Backup your data. This is vitally important in case you make a mistake or there's some other problem.

3. Connect a Firewire cable between your old Mac and your new Intel Mac.

4. Startup your old Mac in Target Disk Mode.

5. Startup your new Mac for the first time, go through the setup and registration screens, but do NOT migrate data over. Get to your desktop on the new Mac without migrating any new data over.

If you are not able to use a Firewire connection (for example you have a Late 2008 MacBook that only supports USB:)

1. Set up a local home network: Creating a small Ethernet Network.

2. If you have a MacBook Air or Late 2008 MacBook see the following:
MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008)- Migration Tips and Tricks;
MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008)- What to do if migration is unsuccessful;
MacBook Air- Migration Tips and Tricks;
MacBook Air- Remote Disc, Migration, or Remote Install Mac OS X and wireless 802.11n networks.

Copy the following items from your old Mac to the new Mac:

In your /Home/ folder: Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures, and Sites folders.

In your /Home/Library/ folder:

/Home/Library/Application Support/AddressBook (copy the whole folder)
/Home/Library/Application Support/iCal (copy the whole folder)

Also in /Home/Library/Application Support (copy whatever else you need including folders for any third-party applications)

/Home/Library/Keychains (copy the whole folder)
/Home/Library/Mail (copy the whole folder)
/Home/Library/Preferences/ (copy the whole folder)
/Home /Library/Calendars (copy the whole folder)
/Home /Library/iTunes (copy the whole folder)
/Home /Library/Safari (copy the whole folder)

If you want cookies:

/Home/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist
/Home/Library/Application Support/WebFoundation/HTTPCookies.plist

For Entourage users:

Entourage is in /Home/Documents/Microsoft User Data
Also in /Home/Library/Preferences/Microsoft

Credit goes to Macjack for this information.

If you need to transfer data for other applications please ask the vendor or ask in the Discussions where specific applications store their data.

5. Once you have transferred what you need restart the new Mac and test to make sure the contents are there for each of the applications.

Written by Kappy with additional contributions from a brody.
Revised 1/6/2009

Message was edited by: Kappy

Jun 8, 2010 3:27 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

Wow! That's a lot to digest.
Thanks for both of the replies. I will try to absorb all the info and proceed cautiously.

I'm also glad your answers mentioned "System Preference add-ons" and "Unsanity Haxies," because I definitely have some of those on my 10.4.11 machine and was worried that they would throw a monkey wrench into my new 10.6.3, and was going to try to avoid transferring them over.

HOWEVER, if, as Kappy says, "Migration Assistant can transfer an entire user account, *but not selected items from a user account*," that seems to mean that I can't EXCLUDE the Haxies and the add-ons from my all-inclusive user account being transferred over by Migration Assistant. That being the case, perhaps it's not a good idea to transfer over the whole account at all, since by doing to I would unwittingly install the Haxies and the unwanted old add-ons -- right? I always suspected that they were slowing down my 10.4.11 OS anyway, so even if they didn't crash 10.6.3, I still wouldn't want to transfer them -- especially considering that I only installed them to achieve some Finder functionality that was later included in 10.6 anyway.

Is it possible to manually "migrate" using MA simply all my files and all my Applications, but not the user accounts themselves? And how can one be sure that one is transferring all the necessary components of a software package, if doing it manually? Hmmmm.

Well, I'll get to studying your answers now, in any event. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2010 7:38 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

OK, thanks for everything, I've made my decision and marked this as "solved."

After reviewing all the possible ways of doing it, I'm going to skip using Migration Assistant and just manually transfer over all my personal and work files, at first, and then one-by-one add in whatever applications I think I'll be using as my need for them becomes apparent. Then I'll test out each application individually to make sure it works and doesn't make the computer start misbehaving.

The process will probably take a couple weeks to work out all the kinks, but I think it's safer this way.

I decided to do it this way because I simply have too many dodgy, strange, invasive and antiquated snippets of software, and I just don't want to contaminate my new machine unnecessarily. I've been accumulating stuff since 1984 and System 6, and it's just too much effort to sift through hundreds upon hundreds of old applications and hacks and extensions and add-ons etc. to decipher ahead of time what will work and what won't. The time has come to make a clean break -- use only what comes with the OS and iLife, and if I have a specific need for a particular functionality, see if there's a 10.6-compatible new version out there - -and only if I can't find anything will I dare to transfer over an old application to see how it fares.

Wish me luck!

Jun 8, 2010 10:43 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

I think it's safer this way.

'Tisn't. Has no basis in fact or experience. But, it's your decision.

Welcome to the club, WRT to older stuff. But know that my 27" iMac's installation has its roots in OS 6. I've never done a clean install since getting my first SE-30, back in 1989. Albeit that I kept a bootable OS 9 volume through Tiger, so I could leave that behind, but I did transfer the data. Having beta-tested Panther through the latest feline, I tested most scenarios, including what you're contemplating. Once I convinced myself that the only differences between that and a straight migration, I discarded the so-called clean install. Weeks to do the job versus a couple of hours? Not worth the time or trouble. If you run across something that won't work, then investigate if its compatible or not or if an update is available. BTW, anything that isn't compatible is put into an Incompatible Software folder during migration. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258 for details.

Moving old software to new MacBook Pro: will Migration Asst allow new user?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.