Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reader feature in Safari 5 doesn't work

The much-touted "Reader" function is apparently broken in my Safari 5. I've visited dozens of websites and have yet to see a "Reader" icon appear in the address bar. Also, trying to invoke Reader manually (Command-Shift-R or choosing View->Enter Reader) does nothing; the menu item is always greyed out. The browser seems otherwise fully functional, so I'm curious if anyone else is finding the feature non-working in their Safari 5.

MacBook Pro 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.3), Safari 5

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 8:31 PM

11 replies

Jun 8, 2010 8:42 PM in response to Kurt Tappe1

Bee & Chromey: Yes, both those pages DO bring up the Reader icon. Wow--I guess I had been extraordinarily unlucky in that all the other pages I visited were not compatible with the feature. Unfortunately, those are the pages I most frequent, so I guess the feature will not be of much use to me. But in any case, thanks for directing me to Reader-compatible pages.

I guess that begs the question though: What makes a page Reader-compatible or Reader-incompatible? It sure doesn't work on NYT, AppleInsider, my local paper (delawareonline.com), Engadget, etc.

Jun 9, 2010 9:46 AM in response to Hawaiian_Starman

@Hawaiian_Starman, that's great, thanks. Already some serious testing being conducted, I see. Would be nice if Apple would actually publish the details themselves, but this is very helpful.

Looking at arc90's code in their .js file, I see this comment:
"Using a variety of metrics (content score, classname, element types), find the content that is
* most likely to be the stuff a user wants to read. Then return it wrapped up in a div"

Jun 9, 2010 9:49 AM in response to Mike Masquith

Their regular expressions definitions are revealing:

regexps: {
unlikelyCandidatesRe: /combx|comment|disqus|foot|header|menu|rss|shoutbox|sidebar|sponsor/i,
okMaybeItsACandidateRe: /and|article|body|column|main/i,
positiveRe: /article|body|content|entry|hentry|page|pagination|post|text/i,
negativeRe: /combx|comment|contact|foot|footer|footnote|link|masthead|media|meta|promo|rela ted|scroll|shoutbox|sponsor|tags|widget/i,
divToPElementsRe: /<(a|blockquote|dl|div|img|ol|p|pre|table|ul)/i,
replaceBrsRe: /(<br[^>]*>[ \n\r\t]*){2,}/gi,
replaceFontsRe: /<(\/?)font[^>]*>/gi,
trimRe: /^\s |s$/g,
normalizeRe: /\s{2,}/g,
killBreaksRe: /(<br\s /?>(s| ?)){1,}/g,
videoRe: /http:\/\/(www\.)?(youtube|vimeo)\.com/i,
skipFootnoteLinkRe: /^\s*(\[?[a-z0-9]{1,2}\]?|^|edit|citation needed)\s*$/i
},

Reader feature in Safari 5 doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.