Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sidebar inoperable and missing com.apple.sidebarlists.plist file

My sidebar seems to be 'broken'. Originally I had a few extra folders added to it along with the usual drives and home folders etc, but whenever I tried to add another folder, or re-arrange the existing ones, it would simply revert back the next time I logged in.
I followed a few suggestions on here and deleted the com.apple.finder.plist file, and I looked for 'com.apple.sidebarlists.plist' on my computer, but couldn't find it - could this be the problem?
Having deleted the com.apple.finder.plist my sidebar has reverted to it's 'out of the box' form, but loses any customisation on restart - ie reverts back to it's default.
Annoying, since I use this feature a lot. Any suggestions, short of a full re-install?!!!

Mac Pro 2.88GHZ, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 11:53 AM

If you don't have a com.apple.sidebarlists.plist in your /Library/Preferences/ folder, then you have a corrupt or conflicting set of plist files. Step one is to create a new admin user account, log into it, set up the sidebar as desired, check that the plist file exists in that users Preferences folder, log out and back in, and ensure that the settings are retained. Report back.
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2010 11:53 AM in response to BenM71

If you don't have a com.apple.sidebarlists.plist in your /Library/Preferences/ folder, then you have a corrupt or conflicting set of plist files. Step one is to create a new admin user account, log into it, set up the sidebar as desired, check that the plist file exists in that users Preferences folder, log out and back in, and ensure that the settings are retained. Report back.

Jun 10, 2010 10:31 AM in response to BenM71

OK. Since the issue is specific to your original user account, you can proceed in two ways. One is to log into your new account, make a list of the preference files (plists) located in /username/Library/Preferences/, including any in the ByHost subfolder, log back into the original account, move everything on that other account's list from the original account's Preferences folder into a newly created folder on the Desktop, log out and back in, and see if the problem goes away. If so, you can copy the ones in the Desktop folder (one at time) back into /Preferences/, restart, and see if the problem returns. If so, you've identified the corrupt/conflicting one. Continue with all of them until isolating the bad ones. That'll save you the trouble of resetting preferences.

The second way is much more detailed and I'll not burden you with the steps unless the above doesn't fix the issue.

Jun 11, 2010 3:20 AM in response to baltwo

Waaah. No luck, unfortunately. I see the game is a little like identifying extension conflicts under OS9 / Classic. I tried removing all the preferences created by the new user account from my account, but sidebar still doesn't retain it's setup when I next login.

'Appreciate your help though if you can't be bothered to type out option 2 (above) then fair enough - I'm interested, but I don't want to spend hours on this either! Best wishes, Ben.

Jun 11, 2010 3:40 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hmmm. Haven't changed any permissions for a long time (well before the problem started anyway).

System and Admin both have read and write permission on my home, library and preferences folders, but only my username has access to, for example, the 'com.apple.finder.plist' file. (My account is an admin account obviously.)

Jun 11, 2010 11:23 AM in response to BenM71

Yep. The process is a manual version of Conflict Catcher from pre-OS X days. Here's the second way:

While logged into the newly created admin account, backup the bad account's folder, delete the bad account, selecting the save data option (which is stored in /Users/Deleted Users/ as a disk image), recreate the bad account using the same username/password combo, log out and back into the recreated original account. If the problem's solved, open the saved data dmg file in /Users/Deleted Users/, open the /Library/Preferences/ folder from the saved data, open the current /Users/restored account/Library/Preferences/ folder, and slowly copy plist files from the saved data folder to the current one that don't exist in it. Log out and back in to ensure there's no conflict and things still work correctly. Resolving conflicts or identifying corrupt plist files is a laborious process. Good luck.

Jun 11, 2010 5:15 PM in response to BenM71

Well, something has changed them. The Library folder should only have rwx permissions for yourself, not admin. This should not be a problem, but makes me wonder about what's inside the Library folder.

Type this command in Terminal and post the lines for your Preferences folder:
ls -leO Library
Or, just make sure it looks similar to this:
drwx------+ 504 username staff - 17136 Jun 11 19:11 Preferences
0: group:everyone deny delete

Jun 12, 2010 9:07 AM in response to BenM71

Having this exact problem, and posted on it a while ago in this forum. Never found a solution that was short of reinstalling Snow Leopard.

I restored from a Time Machine backup once but of course that gave exactly the same behaviour.

I've finally decided to do something about it again after trying to live with it but I really need this function to speed up my workflow.

Similarly to the OP I have created separate accounts which do not suffer from the problem - they retain any customisations once restarted.

Also, I cannot find the com.apple.sidebarlists.plist file. I'm going to try the same steps suggested here and will report back - in the meantime however if you have managed to solve the problem another way I would be very interested.

I had thought that setting up a new account and transferring over all of my files might be the way to do it but am quickly running into issues (for example, transferring an iTunes library and retaining ratings / playcounts etc....).

Sidebar inoperable and missing com.apple.sidebarlists.plist file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.