Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad as main presentations player

Hi
I'd love to use Keynote as my main presentation program, in fact, all of my software is from Apple except PowerPoint, because Keynote's beautiful animations themes, and transitions won't work on Windows, and having to take my Mac everywhere to play Keynotes is a bit hard for me.

So I thought why won't I use my iPad as my main Keynote player, so I have these questions Please:
1- If I'm going to take my iPad with me to play my presentations, how will the VGA connector work? I mean the classroom or the place I'm going to present in should have a VGA connected to the projector, and the other to iPad's VGA connector, correct?
2- Will the Keynotes run smooth (transitions + effects + animations) even if the presentation held many photos (large size), or the 1GHZ A4 Chip isn't that strong?
3- Is there an iPhone app that'll connect to my iPad via Bluetooth or WiFi so I can use it as a remote to move between slides? (Apple's Keynote app for example?)
4- If not, is there any remotes that work via Bluetooth with iPad?

Thank you

White MacBook, iPhone 3G, 64GB WiFi iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 11:17 AM

15 replies

Oct 20, 2018 1:09 AM in response to David M Brewer

I have asked this question but I will ask it here, when you do use it for presentations does the screen on the iPad just show a black screen with the slide number and forward and back arrows, so that you have to keep turning around to the screen to check that it is displaying properly, or can you get it to view on iPad as well as projector screen

Jun 9, 2010 11:37 AM in response to Hotsouma

All your questions have already been answered by other posts on your subjects. I suggest you do a search.

One think to remember is that the Keynotes on the iPad is a subset of the laptop/desktop version. This means all the functions that you create on the a laptop/desktop will not show when presented by the iPad. This has also been discussed here before.

Jun 10, 2010 10:42 AM in response to Hotsouma

1. Projectors typically have a VGA cable attached, but you may want one in your bag, just in case.

2. You need to thoroughly test all of your presentations before embarking on this adventure.

3. There is not a remote control app for iPhone to iPad, but there are several that allow the iPad to control your laptop. I use iClickr with Powerpoint.

4. iPad only supports keyboards and headphones via bluetooth. There is a chance that a bluetooth remote could emulate a keyboard, but presentations relay on gestures.

Jun 10, 2010 11:34 PM in response to Hotsouma

I have no faith in keynote having spent a few hours loading a presentation. I was demonstrating this to our office IT department, and the documents would not load and gave me an error message. In trying to resolve the problem, I lost all the data.

So far I have had no repsonse from Apple on the issue, and am in no hurry to do other presentations on what is a poor un reliable application.

Jul 1, 2010 5:29 AM in response to David M Brewer

Sorry my friend, Keynote on the iPad is not nearly as functional as the desktop version. The only way I would ever used Keynote on the iPad for a presentation is if the presentation was built completely on the iPad. Because of the limitations in the iPad Keynote version, presentations converted from the desktop version usually do not work well. The iPad version has a limited number of fonts that can be used (and you can't add any) and slide format and transitions do not always convert correctly between the two products. Be sure to review a converted presentation BEFORE you use it.

Steven Berry Ph.D.
Aerospace Engineer

Jul 18, 2010 3:36 PM in response to Hotsouma

3- Is there an iPhone app that'll connect to my iPad via Bluetooth or WiFi so I can use it as a remote to move between slides? (Apple's Keynote app for example?)
4- If not, is there any remotes that work via Bluetooth with iPad?

I use 2Screens - Presentation Expert rather than Keynote. It mirrors iPad to projector (slides show on the iPad) and has a built-in web browser. There is also now "2Screens Remote" for iPhone/iPod Touch that works via Bluetooth for moving slides forward, back, go to a certain page. Works great in a classroom.

iPad as main presentations player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.