Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari suddenly stopped playing embedded YouTube videos

A few weeks ago my Safari stopped playing embedded YouTube videos. I can right click on the embedded video and watch it directly on YouTube and I can view them embedded in FireFox, but my Safari gives me this message: An error occurred, please try again later. It's been like three weeks now. The same pages will play in my other computers on the same network, but not on my MBP.

I've tried:
emptying the cache
running in 32 bit mode
deleting com.apple.Safari.RSS.plist
deleting com.apple.Safari.plist
deleting webpageIcons.db
(I could not find the file com.apple.Safari.LSSharedFileList.plist to delete)
restarting
repaired permissions

I even updated my OS to 10.6.3 and downloaded Safari version 5.0. Still the same problem.

What am I missing? It'll play YouTube videos, just not embedded ones.

MBP 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.3), problem persists in both Safari 4 and 5

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 6:24 PM

24 replies

Jun 9, 2010 6:51 PM in response to goChickenboy

HI,

Try repairing disk permissions.

Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done. Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

Carolyn 🙂

Jun 9, 2010 8:19 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn, I've now tried repairing permissions three times and still the same thing with embedded YouTube videos: an error occurred, please try again later. Incidentally, each time I repaired permissions it told me that the permissions were repaired, but the next time the same list of things that need repairing came up.

On my original post I listed everything that I've tried. What would you suggest next?

Jun 21, 2010 7:13 AM in response to goChickenboy

The following solved the same problem for another user.

Uninstall Flash Player and reinstall the latest version:

The latest version of Adobe FlashPlayer can be obtained from here:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1ProdVersion=ShockwaveFlash

(You can check here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/ to see which version you should install for your Mac and OS.

You should first uninstall any previous version of Flash Player, using the uninstaller from here (make sure you use the correct one!):

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

and also that you follow the instructions closely, such as closing ALL applications first before installing. You must also carry out a permission repair after installing anything from Adobe.

Safari suddenly stopped playing embedded YouTube videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.