Skip navigation

Putting movies on iPad

4154 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2011 11:56 AM by Chris CA RSS
oldmovieguy Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 9, 2010 11:46 PM
I have found a nice piece of software which enables me to convert my home movies to a format that iPad likes via a sync to iTunes, it then occurred to me that I could transfer some DVD's (hard copy, not downloads) in the same way but then again I could download for example the movie 'UP' straight into the iPad, anyone know how long that would take?
iMac 24" 3.06, Mac OS X (10.6.3)
  • Glorfindeal Level 6 Level 6 (9,330 points)
    Jun 10, 2010 5:26 AM (in response to oldmovieguy)
    It depends on your connection speed and the size of the movie. A typical HD movie from iTunes probably runs around 2-3 GB. On my connection (6mbps) I can download around 2.4GB per hour, so a download would take up to 2 hours depending on movie length.

Glor
    Macbook Air 2.13 GHZ, Apple 24" LCD Display, Mac OS X (10.6.3), Mac Mini 2.53GHZ, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPad 3G 64GB
  • m6centurion Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    May 4, 2011 11:02 AM (in response to oldmovieguy)

Instead of going through the lengthy task of coversion why not just purchase AVplayer HD from the app store which will allow you to play any video file format including VOB files directly on your ipad. If you have an ipad 2 it will also play 720p video files as well.  You will never have to bother with conversion software again.

• Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,395 points)
    May 4, 2011 11:56 AM (in response to oldmovieguy)

oldmovieguy wrote:

I have found a nice piece of software which enables me to convert my home movies to a format that iPad likes via a sync to iTunes,

If these files are in iTunes and cannot be transferred to the iPad, iTunes will convert them.

Select the file then right click Convert for iPad.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.