Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos won't print from iphoto: Get "no theme" message

When I select any photo in one of my Iphoto event libraries and ask the computer to print the photo I get a message box (with an iphoto icon) which says the following:

There were no themes located. Until at least one theme has been installed, this feature will be unavailable.

Therefore I am unable to print off any of my photos. This problem has just started happening. I never had any problem like this printing photos from iphoto before.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 4:53 AM

16 replies

Jun 10, 2010 6:14 AM in response to CamRobinson001

Welcome to the Apple Discussions.

Check out OT's post in this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6394288&#6394288

Also, note his comments here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6998840&#6998840

Look in your User/Library/Application Support/iPhoto folder for a Themes folder. If you find it there move it to the HD/Library/Application Support/iPhoto folder and reboot. Then try iPhoto again. That may save you having to go thru the reinstallation.

Regards

TD

Jun 25, 2010 7:56 AM in response to Yer_Man

Just lost printing ability after update to '09 v. 8.1.2; no themes message. Found themes right where Old Toad said they should be placed. No help as they don't need to be moved.
No fun having to move things to desktop to print from other programs.
Don't have program disks with me to replace iPhoto and start over.
Any other work a round?

Jun 25, 2010 2:05 PM in response to tal toad

Welcome to the Apple Discussions. Move the Themes folder to the Desktop and reboot. Then move it into the HD/Library/Application Support/iPhoto folder, repair disk permissions and reboot again. Then launch iPhoto and see if you can print. If not there's nothing you can do until you reinstall iPhoto.

What application are you using to print with now? Can you set it as the editor or choice in iPhoto's General preferences and then reset the preferences to use iPhoto for the editing.

If you can do that then edit the photo with iPhoto. When that's completed Control-click on the photo and select Edit in External Editor. That will open the photo in the application you chose so you can print from it. Preview will work nicely if it prints as you want it.

User uploaded file
OT

Aug 21, 2010 12:40 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your June 25th advice, above, Old Toad. I have this problem also, and have tried the steps you outline above, to no avail.

Before I go ahead and try to re-install iPhoto, I wonder if you could give me some advice on how to maintain all my current iPhoto Events, folders etc. please? (I have 7000 photos)

As an aside, the problem arose after migrating everything on my old PowerBook (10.5.8) to my shiny new iMac (10.6.4). The themes are definitely still there (I've followed your steps above to the letter), but for some reason iPhoto doesn't seem to be able to see them.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards

Aug 21, 2010 11:29 AM in response to AdrianP

Reinstalling iPhoto does not affect the library or it's organization. That's all within the iPhoto Library and not the application. There's no physical connection between the two.

So reinstall the iPhoto application. To do so you'll have to first delete the current application and all files with "iPhoto" in the file name with either a .PKG or .BOM extension that reside in the HD/Library/Receipts folder, reinstall iPhoto from the disk it came on and reapply the latest updaters.

Sep 20, 2010 12:48 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi old Toad! How are you doing? I have this problem now! I have no themes in the places you mentioned. I have taken off iPhoto with discsweeper and reinstalled iPhoto. I still have same message that I have no themes installed, and I certainly do not. I'm worried about putting the original disc in to put iPhoto back on after deleting it again, then using the new disc' ilife' with the iPhoto 09 on it to update iPhoto. I have a new motherboard fitted and new snow leopard, 10.6.4. I had tiger before. What can I do? Thanks old Toad! D

Sep 25, 2010 3:42 PM in response to denise CLARK

Which library folder did you look in? It should be the HD/Library or HD/Library/boms folder and NOT your Home/Library folder.

A typical receipt file will be com.apple.pkg.iPhoto_802.bom or iPhoto_802.pkg. I believe Apple has gone with the .bom (bill of materials) file which would be in the HD/Library/bom folder.

Reinstall iPhoto by deleting the current application and all files with "IPhoto" in the file name with either a .pkg or .bom extension that reside in the HD/Library/Receipts or HD/Library/Receipts/boms folder, reinstalling IPhoto from the disk it came on and reapplying the latest updaters.

Photos won't print from iphoto: Get "no theme" message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.