12 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2014 8:42 PM by ubernaught
Spokesman4 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have upgraded to Safari 5, but previously had been using Firefox almost exclusively. As a result, my Firefox browser has a more complete bookmarks list. How do I transfer it to my Safari Browser, which doesn't have such a long bookmarks list?

2.2Ghz MacBook 13.3" (Black), 160GB HD/SuperDrive, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 2 GB SDRAM
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (98,875 points)
    HI,

You can export Firefox bookmarks to Safari, instructions here.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Exportingdata+toSafari

Carolyn
  • Spokesman4 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks Carolyn!

So far, so good. However, Firefox's tutorial didn't mention that I would have to delete Safari's existing bookmarks, then copy the new ones from the import to the Bookmarks Menu. No matter. I figured it out. However, I have not been able to get the Bookmarks Toolbar to display the bookmarks in it across the top of the Browser as before. I can click on Bookmarks Toolbar to get a drop down menu of them, but that is not as convenient as seeing them individually listed horizontally across the top. Any ideas?
  • Colin Fox Level 1 Level 1 (145 points)
    I just tried the same thing and all I get is an empty folder in the Bookmarks section under the Collections menu and that folder is empty.

Colin
  • Hawaiian_Starman Level 7 Level 7 (21,415 points)
    Hi

Try view Menu>Show Bookmarks Bar
    I have not been able to find that location in the browser. Can you be more specific?

However, I did just learn you can drag individual bookmarks between browsers. Cool!
  • Igor_G5 Level 2 Level 2 (300 points)
    Spokesman4 wrote:
    I have not been able to find that location in the browser. Can you be more specific?

Hi Spokesman

Go to the "View" menu and choose "Show bookmarks bar"
    Hi

Sorry for the typo - view should be View as in View Menu on your Menu Bar. There, you'll find the selection for the Bookmarks Bar.
  • Igor_G5 Level 2 Level 2 (300 points)
    Mine's directly in the view menu. I don't have view as in the view menu.
    When I follow that advice, I get an item in the toolbar that says "Bookmarks Toolbar," but it offers a dropdown menu of the bookmarks listed in it. I liked the old Safari where the Bookmarks Toolbar items were distributed horizontally and visibly across the toolbar. Is it possible to that type of readout?
    The Bookmarks Bar still shows bookmarks horizontally. That hasn't changed. To "reveal" the Bar, simply press the Shift/Command/B keys.

I suspect something odd is going on in the Bookmarks Manager. Press the Option/Command/B keys to open the Manager. On the left you ought to see a Bookmarks Bar Collection. Click on it. On the right of the panel, you'll now see all Bookmarks belonging to that collection. These will appear on the Bookmarks Bar. Please confirm that's what you are seeing on your machine.
    Well, I finally solved the problem after ignoring it for several days. In Safari's Bookmarks Toolbar page, I simply dragged the URL icons I wanted there from Firefox. Viola! They showed up in the toolbar. I also got rid of Apple's preselected ones. I suppose this should have been apparent, but I'm a little slow.
  • ubernaught Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes, that how I populated the top of my browser with items important to me. Just dragged them up there. Now, if only I could figure out a way to structure my bookmarks section. I have SO MANY bookmarks! And it becomes impossible to read through all of them to figure out where I new book mark belongs --- it is just too time consuming. If anyone has insights, I'm all ears! Thanks in advance.