Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I get my apps back?

I had to do a restore. iTunes said it was backing up my iPhone and then I did the restore based on the backup, but I guess that doesn't mean any of the apps. I had a ton of apps, most are ones I paid for. Is there some where I can go to download all my lost apps? Is there easy way to reclaim them or do I have to go back through my billing statements to figure out all the ones I paid for and then reinstall each one individually?

dell

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 5:55 PM

2 replies

Jun 11, 2010 6:22 PM in response to winterwolfes

The iPhone's backup does not include any iTunes content - music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and 3rd party apps. All iTunes content on your iPhone including 3rd party apps should be in your iTunes library on your computer.

Sounds like you didn't have Sync Apps selected under the Apps tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes. If this was selected, after downloading an app with your iPhone, the app will be copied to your iTunes library the first time you sync your iPhone with iTunes after doing so.

Having Sync Apps selected under the Apps tab for your iPhone sync preferences also provides for downloading an app with iTunes on your computer and installing the app on your iPhone when syncing. To remove an app from your iPhone, you can deselect the app under the Apps tab followed by a sync. To re-install the app on your iPhone at a later time, reselect the app under the Apps tab followed by a sync.

When restoring your iPhone with iTunes, your iPhone is completely erased first followed by the firmware being re-installed. After the firmware is re-installed, you have two options. Restore from the backup which is the default selection, or restore as a new iPhone or not from the iPhone's backup which must be manually selected. Either way this must be followed by a sync with iTunes to retransfer your selected iTunes content including 3rd party apps under the various tabs for your iPhone sync preferences - music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and Apps.

This link provides the data included with your iPhone's backup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

As already provided, you can re-download all apps with iTunes on your computer and you won't be charged again for a purchased app as long as you use the same iTunes account to re-download the app that was used to purchase the app originally. After doing so, select Sync Apps under the Apps tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes followed by selecting the apps below that you want installed on your iPhone followed by a sync.

Can I get my apps back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.