Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Mac OS 7.1 to 7.5 or 7.6

Hi!
I've got an old LCIII with System 7.1 (in Spanish) which I don't usually use, but I like to update its System 7.1 to 7.5 or 7.6.
I'm looking for the way to do it, but I could't find how to update System 7.1 to 7.5
Where do I start?
Thanks a lot!!

Apple LCIII, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, System 7.1

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 3:10 PM

3 replies

Jun 13, 2010 7:23 AM in response to hahakla

Hi,

Niel provided you with a link to the Spanish System 7.5.3.

If I may expand a bit on this.

The download consists of nineteen floppy-sized MacBinary (.bin) files. The idea is to transfer the files to the hard disk of the LC III. It is usually better (necessary, if a PC is used for the download) to keep the MacBinary encoding intact until on the target machine (where you will need an appropriate older version of StuffIt Expander for the decoding). Once decoded, place the nineteen files (one .smi and eighteen .part) in a common folder. The segments together constitute one large disk image. Double-click on the first (.smi) file; this will mount the entire image. Launch the installer in the thus mounted image. For a Clean Installation procedure, see Step 7 and Step 8 in KB article TA44452 (disregard the information about System 7.5.5 for now).

Jan

Jun 13, 2010 7:44 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Addendum

Although System 7.1 is said to be sufficient for handling self-mounting (.smi) files, my experience is that System 7.5 may be required. If so, the aforementioned large image will not mount. The solution is then to use a 7.5 startup floppy (the Network Access disk image here is suitable for this purpose; create the floppy through Disk Copy 4.2).

Jan

Update Mac OS 7.1 to 7.5 or 7.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.