5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2010 12:07 PM by Lucky13
Lucky13 Level 2 Level 2 (185 points)
I've searched the forums with no luck. Anyway...

My internet radio feeds cut off when the display goes to sleep. Is that considered normal behavior? Could it be that my external monitor (HP) has built-in speakers?

Mac Mini under Snow Leopard

20" iMac, Mac Mini, iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.3), Daffy Duck mousepad
  • 1. Re: Audio and display sleep
    Isaac Bardin Level 2 Level 2 (175 points)
    Yup, that's normal. You can configure under System Preferences-- Energy Saver when the display goes to sleep if you want your internet radio to keep going on... and on.... and on.....

Hope this helps!
  • 2. Re: Audio and display sleep
    Thanks.

One would think that the audio should continue until the computer itself goes to sleep. Manually powering off the monitor doesn't work because of the built-in speakers. I suppose I'll have to spring for a standalone speaker kit.
  • 3. Re: Audio and display sleep
    I'm not sure that a standalone speaker kit would be any better. I would suppose. If you're buying a new standalone kit online, you could look at reviews or post a question to see if it would work with your computer even when it went to sleep. If you're planning to buy the speaker kit in a store, you could go in and talk to an employee about options for continous audio, even when your Mac goes to sleep.

Good luck!
  • 4. Re: Audio and display sleep
    "I'm not sure that a standalone speaker kit would be any better. I would suppose."

Sorry, didn't mean to write that. Meant to write: "I'm not sure that a standalone speaker kit would be any better, but I suppose it could work."
  • 5. Re: Audio and display sleep
    Problem solved - in a roundabout way. It is the built-in speakers of my HP display that were causing the audio to drop out. Connecting a pair of external speakers allows the audio feed to continue thru display sleep.

Of course, I've lost the clean and uncluttered appeal of in-house speakers.

Anyway...