Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme and Wireless Printing

Okay so i know that you can make wireless printing by simply connecting your printer to the airport extreme. However I have a wireless printer and i read somewhere that the extreme does not allow the wireless printer to be discovered when used with the extreme. I want to know if this is true. I currently use a linksys router and whenever i print something, the first time takes forever for it to detect the printer. I am hoping that a newer router will help but i want to know if the extreme does support wireless printers.

13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 13, 2010 8:35 AM

3 replies

Jun 20, 2010 3:00 PM in response to Musicfreak291

If you get an answer to this, I'm very interested. I recently upgraded the network at my folks house with an extreme (they had an airport express before that). Now the wireless printer I was using upstairs is no longer visible on the network. Although the network is visible to the printer (Brother MFC-6490CW), it is unable to connect. I'm having a horrible time trying to get it to work again.

Jun 24, 2010 2:25 PM in response to Jon in San Rafael

Same issue here. I recently upgraded to an Airport Extreme and can no longer print wirelessly. Before this router I used a different brand of wireless router and had no issues. When I go to the printer itself, an HP OfficeJet 7410, and look for networks on the little display it can see mine and the neighbors. However, when I tell it to join the network it gives me an error message along the lines of "Cannot join this network." New network password has been entered.

Jun 25, 2010 4:58 AM in response to Musicfreak291

Okay so i finally got the Airport extreme and paired my printer with it and it works fine. My printer is the Hp officejet 6500. I did have some problems at first but i realised it was my computer firewall preventing it from connecting, so after turning it off i was able to connect I used my PC to configure it instead of my Mac though. Maybe that's why it worked. I'm not sure if i would have gotten the same results if i used my laptop.

Airport Extreme and Wireless Printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.