Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server Monitor is showing no information

I have a Apple G5 Xserve running 10.4.11

I monitor it remotely via Server Monitor tools

Today the entry for this server was showing no information at all

There is the IP address in my list - then a black disk next to where the name of the server normally appears, but no name.
Then a Black disk with a ? in it in the "status summary" field, with no green dots.

If I ARD to the remote server and run the Server monitor tools locally using the 127.0.0.1 loopback address. This shows exactly the same locally as above

Anybody have any clues as how to resolve this? - Just re-installing Server Administration tools package?

I'd rather try and understand whats causing it first, than just blindly re-installing packages.

Any help would be appreciated

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Intel and PPC systems

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 4:53 AM

Hi

Is the daemon associated with Server Monitor running? It's called hwmond. You should see its presence either in Activity Monitor or via the command line using the "top" utility. You may want to read this:

http://www.manpagez.com/man/8/hwmond/

I'd also look at the log and see if anything unusual pops up around the time it stopped working.

Tony
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2010 4:53 AM in response to Tony Baker

Hi

Is the daemon associated with Server Monitor running? It's called hwmond. You should see its presence either in Activity Monitor or via the command line using the "top" utility. You may want to read this:

http://www.manpagez.com/man/8/hwmond/

I'd also look at the log and see if anything unusual pops up around the time it stopped working.

Tony

Server Monitor is showing no information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.