Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hiding Zero Values

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if Numbers has the option to hide zero values in formulated cells, similar to Excel? I have a number of Excel spreadsheets that I've transferred from my Mac to the iPad and I have rows and columns of zero value cells that make the whole spreadsheet look untidy.

Thanks in advance

iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 6:18 AM

8 replies

Jun 3, 2013 3:59 PM in response to CHANQ51

Yes, you can hide zeroes:

1) Select the cells you want to format.

2) Bring up Inspector and click on the Cells Inspector

3) For Format, choose "Custom..." from the popup menu

==> A sheet will drop down showing options for the Custom format

4) Click the round "+" button to add a condition

5) Choose "If 0" from the popup menu

6) Set the format to be blank (see image)

7) Click "OK"

User uploaded file

Jun 6, 2013 11:09 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Thanks James. Sorry, I will check what context I'm in (iOS vs. Mac OS X) next time I reply to a thread.

Here's a workaround for iOS:

I don't see a way to create a custom format in Numbers for iOS, but if you create a spreadsheet on Mac OS with a custom format as I describe above and then sync (via iCloud) to an iPad, the custom format works on iOS and can be copied and pasted to various iOS spreadsheets. The custom format will retain the name that you gave it on Mac OS ("Custom Format 1" in the example I gave above), but it doesn't appear in the Format popover unless you select a cell or cells where that format has been pasted.

Hiding Zero Values

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.