Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling "Top Hit" in Safari 5

Is there a way to disable the "Top Hit" function in Safari 5? Mine is constantly way off the mark for the pages i'm looking for.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 7:33 AM

6 replies

Aug 16, 2010 10:45 PM in response to NateKH

Hi,

I'm sorry to report that that doesn't work for me. I also tweaked the command to reference Safari5 instead of 4 (so defaults read com.apple.safari has both DebugSafari4IncludeFancyURLCompletionList = 0;
DebugSafari5IncludeFancyURLCompletionList = 0;
). No luck.

Does anybody have a solution? This is driving me insane, and I'm actually starting to use Google Chrome more because of this issue.

Sep 6, 2010 9:48 PM in response to NateKH

Still having trouble with this, I hate the function and want the old way back where it takes part of the actual URL and not pieces of the page title. ie: www.modmyi.com title bar says "Apple, iPhone & iPad News" and if I'm looking for www.apple.com by typing "ap(ple)" I get the modmyi.com title bar popping up in top hit.

Jan 21, 2011 3:34 PM in response to NateKH

According to the CNET forums, you can disable the Top Sites feature like this:

To completely disable Top Sites, go to Safari > Preferences > General

New windows open with: Top Sites
Change it to something else. Obviously, you can do the same for New Tabs.

(You'll also see Top Sites in the Show All Bookmarks window. Drag that up, don't stop when it first stops moving. It will be reduced to a thin bar.)

Now delete the Image Cache. Choose Safari > Reset Safari... and select Remove All Webpage Preview Images. Click Reset. Now go to YourUserName/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari and select the Webpage Previews folder. Press Cmd-I and click Locked. Now it won't accumulate a jpeg and png of every web page you visit.

Disabling "Top Hit" in Safari 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.