Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play M2TS Files in QuickTime X?

I just got a whole bunch of Video Files from my friend, all in M2TS Format, and QuickTime X can't play them. I already know:
- I can use VLC Media Player
- I can convert them with Permute / Handbrake
- I can use my Windows 7 Ultimate Partition

... but I'd prefer to have a QuickTime X Codec (I already have Perian and Flip4Mac).

Many thanks in advance from a recent switcher on his first Mac 🙂
Karan

Apple MacBook Pro 17" / Intel Core i7 620M 2.67GHz / 8GB RAM / 500GB HDD @ 7200RPM, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPod touch 64GB (3rd Generation) with iPhone OS 3.1.3 / Future iPhone 4 with iOS 4.0 :)

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2010 12:55 PM

Sorry, but I'm not aware of any QuickTime codec that can play MPEG-2 transport streams. The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component will play program streams but not transport streams. I think you'll have to convert those videos.

Regards.
7 replies

Oct 4, 2010 8:47 AM in response to Jeremy Hansen

Every blu-ray disc I've seen has m2ts files, but I don't think they are actually mpeg2 files. They could be H.264 codecs in a m2ts wrapper. However Handbrake still likes to take hours (19 hours on a 2.8 GHz Core2Duo for a 162 minute 1080p video stream) to convert it to (High Profile) .mp4 file. Even then with most of them I have a EOF (End of File) error.

I don't suggest converting decrypted m2ts files, they still cause problems and VLC plays them fine even though the file is 25+ GB instead of a manageable 5-10 GB mp4 file.

Nov 16, 2010 2:04 PM in response to GatorTPK

Hi - I have a similar challenge if anyone has worked this out?

Lots of m2ts files from my old PC and now a MBP user I cant seem to play/edit them.

I have tried the Voltaic free trial download (you can convert the first 10 secs of up to 20 files) which works okay but really lowers the quality of the files, which is not ideal particularly if you used an HD camcorder to get good qual vids in the first place!

I hear clipwrap is another alternative so going to look into that as well.

Please do shout if anyone has a better solution.

Any help very much appreciated.

Dec 7, 2010 3:02 AM in response to imdoc

@imdoc

Yeah I actually did end up converting around 50-60 movies through Handbrake, and I just checked back here because I got another 10 movies to convert and I really don't like leaving my Mac on over night.

But I think that's what I still have to do...

Oh and under Output Settings, I have Format on MP4 File and I have "Large File Size" Checked.

Message was edited by: killa.k

How do I play M2TS Files in QuickTime X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.