Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! iPad turned black, but still working :S

One day when I woke up and wanted to use my iPad, it turned on and everything, but the screen shows only the backlight! No apple logo, nothing but backlight.

If I try to unlock it, I can hear the sound that it works. Ive tried to reset it multiple times, restored it via iTunes and everything.. Still nothing but backlight. And the rest of the iPad works just fine, exept I cant see anything..

What can I do about this?

iPad wifi 64, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 2:02 PM

19 replies

Jun 15, 2010 2:16 PM in response to Tlviken

If it were me, I would then make sure the iPad is charged up and if it still didn't work, I would be making a visit to the genius bar at the nearest Apple store. Good luck.

Jun 18, 2010 2:58 PM in response to Tlviken

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, the screen turned black, and i just can see that is lit... when i push the on/sleep button and the home at the same time, i CAN see the little white apple, then it turnes black again.
PLEASE maybe i can do what you did, Âżwould you please be more specific about how to do it?
my Ipad it´s new, only worked for less than 3 hours...
(It was brought form united states to my country, thats why i cant take it to service)

Thank you.

Feb 15, 2012 1:53 PM in response to Tlviken

My back light was coming on but I could see no image on the screen but I could hear it make sounds. I made it talk by pressing the home button three times to enable the voice screen reader. I found a solution elsewhere on here and tried it and it worked. All I had to do was hold the ipad with my right hand and hit the back left corner rear the headphone jack with the soft part of my fist two or three times and presto it came back on.

Apr 29, 2012 11:22 PM in response to Tlviken

I had the exact same issue for the past few days. IPad 1 would start up, an apple logo would very briefly flash on the screen, and then go black with the backlight on. I accidentally pressed both buttons simultaneously and took a screenshot, and I noticed that the screen would flash white and I could see the screen after that for a brief moment.

In any case, the tapping worked for me too. I've had to do it twice now (a little harder the second time) so I don't know how much longer this thing is going to last. Lucky, I have it on loan from my university and I'll be able to return it in working condition.

Does anyone with tech know-how know what this could be? Just for curiosity's sake? I can imagine a faulty connector cutting off all power or information to the screen, but the fact that it shows up when the screenshot is taken confuses me. It's almost as if the thing turns the brightness setting all the way down.

Anyway, thanks for the fix.

Apr 29, 2012 11:45 PM in response to Tlviken

My problem is solve,

First I waited to go to Genius bar 5th avenue New York.

I explained them my guess was an issue with the internal data cable half out/in.

They told me this device cannot be repaired telling me there are no screw on the iPad.

They proposed to replace the iPad 1 for 240$ without tax as the product was out of warranty.

I refused telling them I was about to open it myself using www.ifixit.com tutorials and tools.

So I ordered the tools recommended by ifixit and I used the tutorial (replace LCD) of course I stopped the tutorial at the time I got acces to the data cable.

I plugged in and out. In and out. Each time trying to startup the device while the iPad was still open just to check that I see the normal grey apple or still the red (bad color) apple .

After 3 attempts I could see the normal grey apple.

That is it

Jun 18, 2012 10:08 AM in response to j0vian723

My back light was coming on but I could see no image on the screen but I could hear it make sounds. I made it talk by pressing the home button three times to enable the voice screen reader. I found a solution elsewhere on here and tried it and it worked. All I had to do was hold the ipad with my right hand and hit the back left corner rear the headphone jack with the soft part of my fist two or three times and presto it came back on.

This worked !!!!!!

Thanks so much !!!

Mike

Help! iPad turned black, but still working :S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.