Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backing up to wrong partition on Time Capsule

Hi,
I've recently bought a Time Capsule (and new MBP to upgrade from my aging MB). The time capsule has been partitioned (through disk utility) so as to have drive space dedicated to back up another external drive.
Both partitions are currently formatted as Mac OS Extended Journalling.

When going into Time Machine preferences to select a drive to back up to, only the time capsule is shown, not the partitions. However, I can get both partitions to mount to my desktop, and work them just fine. So, the time capsule drive is selected for backup, and the main initial backup went to the partition thats supposed to be dedicated to time machine.

Since then, it occasionally makes backups to the time machine partition, and occasionally makes backups to the other partition. When I've realized this (since I've not yet done anything major to backup), I usually delete the backup files in the alternate partition, disconnect and reconnect from time capsule, and tell it to back up again. Once it goes to the correct partition (note: I still cannot choose which partition it will go to), I let it back up.

Then, a few hours later, there it goes trying to do an "initial" backup on the other side of the partition.

I'm at the point that it would be better to get this sorted right now (read: reformat drives if that's what is needed), before I start into a bunch of work that I need to have backups of. (Currently I have nearly everything on my old MB.)

What's the best way to approach this. Because really, I don't want half the backups in one place, and half in the other.. or even a double backup on the same drive.

Thanks.

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 3:47 PM

2 replies

Jun 15, 2010 4:41 PM in response to Angelie

Welcome to the discussions!

Several different calls to Apple Support over the past few years have convinced me that it is probably best to let Time Machine simply backup directly to the Time Capsule disk itself, not to another separate "image" or "partition".

I would also advise you to seek the advice or others like Pondini, who is the resident forum expert on this subject. His advice may differ from mine. What I advise works for me based on my experience, but of course that is no guarantee that it will work well for you.

Time Machine will create a xxxxx.sparsebundle file on the Time Capsule disk that contains all the backups for a given computer. If you add another computer, Time Machine will create another xxxxx.sparsebundle file for that computer and so forth with each new Mac.

I take it that you created a "disk image" on the TC disk since it is not possible to "partition" the disk in a traditional sense (unless you remove it from the case...and risk voiding the warranty)

I would suggest that you create a disk image and reserve the amount of space that you need for the other drive that you need to copy. Then manually move your files to that "disk image" or use an application like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner if you want to automate this.

I would also suggest that you start over and erase the Time Capsule disk. Do you need instructions for this? (Hint...you don't use Disk Utility as many users might think)

Then create the "disk image(s)" that you need for your other drives, but point Time Machine directly to the Time Capsule disk, not to a separate image or partition. Then perform a master backup of the new Mac and make sure that Time Machine is working consistently for a few days.

Then work on copying your other drive(s) over into one of the disk images that you have created. I haven't done this particular step in some time, so can't provide a lot of details on this particular procedure, but as I recall, it's pretty straightforward.

Jun 15, 2010 5:22 PM in response to Angelie

Angelie wrote:
Hi,
I've recently bought a Time Capsule (and new MBP to upgrade from my aging MB). The time capsule has been partitioned (through disk utility) so as to have drive space dedicated to back up another external drive.

I'm a bit confused. If that drive is connected to your MB, and formatted HFS+, Time Machine can back it up along with your internal HD, to the Time Capsule's internal HD. No muss, no fuss!

If you're backing-it up via a different app, as Bob says, it isn't going to work.

If the drive isn't formatted for a Mac, or you want it backed-up separately for some reason, your best bet is probably to connect a USB drive to the Time Capsule, and do the backup to it.

Second best is to make a disk image on the TC's internal HD, as Bob suggests. See #Q3 in Using Time Machine with a Time Capsule (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum), for detailed instructions.

Time Machine backing up to wrong partition on Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.