Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon Network Extender & Airport Extreme

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a Verizon Wireless network extender due to living in a dead zone. I attempted to connect this piece of equipment to my Airport Extreme, but am not having any success. I called Verizon and they asked me to connect it directly to my cable modem to ensure it was working. When I did this, it fired right up. Therefore, it seems that there is something going on with the router to keep me from using this piece of equipment. Verizon sent me the following email, but I'm unsure of how to exactly go about doing what they say. Any help would be greatly appreciated

In rare situations, it may be necessary to enable Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and User Datagram Protocol (UDP) (incoming and outgoing) for specific ports and / or unblock specific IP addresses on the modem / router. Contact the Internet Service Provider (ISP), Network Administrator, or equipment manufacturer for assistance with these settings
Ports:

IP Addresses:

69.78.69.206 (UCM-SMS 1)
69.78.69.210 (UCM-SMS 2)
69.78.95.193 (Security Gateway)
209.210.15.73 (GPS assistance server)
DMZ may be used if needed but we can not promise this will work all the time.

13" MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 5:37 PM

7 replies

Jun 15, 2010 6:12 PM in response to mbushnell

Welcome to the discussions!

+In rare situations, it may be necessary to enable Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and User Datagram Protocol (UDP) (incoming and outgoing) for specific ports and / or unblock specific IP addresses on the modem / router. Contact the Internet Service Provider (ISP), Network Administrator, or equipment manufacturer for assistance with these settings+
Ports:

I haven't learned this language very well, but a rough translation would go something like +products from different manufacturers are rarely compatible with each other for the purpose of extending a wireless network+

Are you trying to extend the Verizon wireless network or wireless network created by the AirPort Extreme?

Jun 15, 2010 6:18 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob. I'm trying to use the Verizon network extender so that I can make phone calls in my apt. As I mentioned previously, I live in a dead zone and simply cannot make cell phone calls from my apt. When I plugged the extender in straight from my cable modem, I was able to use it to make phone calls. However, when I plug it into my AEBS, it will not get the required GPS signal in order to be able to make phone calls. You can read more about the product at the following link.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell

Jun 15, 2010 6:23 PM in response to Bob Timmons

The odd thing is that I have had this piece of equipment for about a month. It has worked without problem up until a week ago. Then it just stopped working. As far as I know I have not made any changes to my router settings. I just find it odd that it stopped working all of a sudden. I tested it today and it works just fine when plugged into the cable modem.

Jun 15, 2010 6:27 PM in response to mbushnell

Have you tried power cycling your network?

If not, power everything down, order is not important
Start the modem first and let it run 3-4 minutes by itself
Then start the AirPort Extreme and let it run a few moments
Then start the extender the same way
Finally, your computers one at a time the same way

I'll watch for more posts from other users who may have this product and know how to troubleshoot first hand.

Jun 15, 2010 6:31 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Oh yes, I have definitely tried resetting my cable modem, router, computers, etc. I've turned off the firewall on my comp (which shouldn't have anything to do with it but whatever), tried messing with the settings on my AEBS, but still no luck. It's a good thing I got this piece of equipment for $60 rather than the regular price of $200 if it isn't going to work.

Aug 10, 2010 11:11 AM in response to mbushnell

After 8 months of no trouble, started having the same problem 2 weeks ago. Thought it was due to a reported system wide Verizon outage at the time. After a week it started working again on its own for about half day then quit again. Saw your post and plugged it straight into the cable modem, and yup, it worked! I tried assigning the NE to an assigned IP and activated port forwarding but still had no luck. I gave up and dug an old linksys out of the closet, plugged everything into that and set the AEBS to act as a bridge for wireless and WDS. A poor solution, but it works. The question really is...what changed? AEBS has been running 7.4.2 for the whole time. Maybe Verizon pushed a software update during the "outage"?

Verizon Network Extender & Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.