Previous 1 2 3 Next 39 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2013 12:52 PM by CraigNivek Branched to a new discussion.
goofy230 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have a first generation iPhone. I have pics that I would like to transfer to my PC, however, the iPhone does not show up when I open "My Computer". How can I import these photos?

HP Notebook, Windows 7
  • wjosten Level 10 Level 10 (93,760 points)
    Photos in your camera roll are imported just like photos from a digital camera. In windows you should have the scanner/camera wizard to do this.
  • goofy230 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    When I plug the iPhone in, I don't get any options to import...my iPhone does not appear as a device and the camara/scanner wizard does not 'see' it either
  • wjosten Level 10 Level 10 (93,760 points)
    Any photos in your camera roll not taken by your iphone camera? Photos saved from emails, safari or MMS? If so, delete them all, if you want to save them, email them to yourself then delete them. See if scanner/camera wizard sees your phone now.
  • Hotkey Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I'm having the same problems with my set up and in fact just posted again. Somehow this post did not show up when I searched for the topic and then I was browsing and spotted it. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with latest iTunes and iPhone 3GS. In other parts of the net I've read the same solutions you've mentioned here as well as other ideas using Picasa and other photo/camera type software, but they don't work for me either
  • BevL Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    For a Mac there is an app for that. It's called photo to Mac. I can easily transfer pics to my computer taken on my phone. There may possibly be one for a pc by now.
  • Hotkey Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Be great if there was so I can do what I want to do but yet totally lame that Apple can do no better than this hit and miss approach. This problem has been posted all over the web. They really don try to make Windows users very happy it seems.
  • chiphone33 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I have a 3gs - I've had an issue where iTunes will recognice the device but the phone does not show up as a camera in My Computer and won't prompt to import pictures.

    The fix for this was I had saved a few pictures from email that went into the camera roll, when I deleted those particular pictures that were from email, plugged the phone in and it went back to prompting me to import pictures.
  • Hotkey Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    chiphone33 wrote:
    I have a 3gs - I've had an issue where iTunes will recognice the device but the phone does not show up as a camera in My Computer and won't prompt to import pictures.

    The fix for this was I had saved a few pictures from email that went into the camera roll, when I deleted those particular pictures that were from email, plugged the phone in and it went back to prompting me to import pictures.


    Well good idea but nothing changed when I tried same. Deleted all pics in Camera Roll, rebooted iPhone, connected to PC. iTunes started up but nothing else and its still not showing up in My Computer!?
  • ChrisJ4203 Level 8 Level 8 (40,490 points)
    Well, if you deleted ALL the pictures, then it will no show up in "My Computer" at all. The only time the iPhone will show up in My Computer when connected is if there are pictures in the Camera Roll. The iPhone is not designed to be viewed as in disk mode like the iPod. There are no files to be viewed via My Computer from the iPhone.

    If you disconnect the iPhone, take a single picture, reconnect the iPhone and it should show up then.
  • Hotkey Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    ChrisJ4203 wrote:
    Well, if you deleted ALL the pictures, then it will no show up in "My Computer" at all. The only time the iPhone will show up in My Computer when connected is if there are pictures in the Camera Roll. The iPhone is not designed to be viewed as in disk mode like the iPod. There are no files to be viewed via My Computer from the iPhone.

    If you disconnect the iPhone, take a single picture, reconnect the iPhone and it should show up then.


    Bingo! Thanks for the help. Amazing the logic involved here but at least I now know the "work around"!
  • BevL Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Update on your question...there is an app for that. It's called photo transfer. Take a look and see if it meets your needs. Available for iphone and ipad.
  • Hotkey Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    BevL wrote:
    Update on your question...there is an app for that. It's called photo transfer. Take a look and see if it meets your needs. Available for iphone and ipad.


    Thanks for helping! I'll see how the My Computer approach works now that I've cleared out the "apparent" problematic Camera Roll pic. But if that goes south, I'll definitely sign up for the app.
  • Malsnake Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have definitely confirmed that it appears to be any photo not taken on the iphone. I have found that this problem has been identified as far back as Sept 2009, so dont hold your breath for a resolution. Did find a tool that will get you past it, http://www.digidna.net/products-downloads something called Diskaid. It lets you transfer photos in an explorer type interface and delete them as well. Its not free, I think it is like 10$ to register, but the download is fully functional for 2 weeks.
  • MMulhern Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)
    If you use something like iPhoto or presumable Kodak Easyshare, you iPhone will show up under Devices, like a camera, and then you can transfer your pictures over. It does seem strange that there is no way to do this via iTunes unless you use an App....especially since there are options to transfer photos from your computer to the iPhone.
Previous 1 2 3 Next