Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS 9.2 stuck on Starting Up screen

Hi there,
This is my second post. I purchased MAC OS 9.2 for my PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver), but it is stuck on the Starting Up screen at about 20%. Any help will be appreciated.

My best regards.
Rapheek

Power Mac G4 Quicksilver, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 12:04 PM

10 replies

Jun 17, 2010 8:26 PM in response to rapheek

I think the Qs/2002 needs a special version of OS9 that only came with those Macs...

The QuickSilver 2002 (January 2002 to August 2002) was 800, 933 or dual 1 GHz. It requires a version of Mac OS 9.2.2 which was supplied with the machine. I doubt it will work with an independently installed 9.1 which is updated to 9.2.2.

You should use the Mac OS 9 startup CD which was supplied with the computer, and install that on a hard drive.

http://www.motherboardpoint.com/re-question-last-model-g4-macs-boot-os9-t217895. html

Jun 20, 2010 10:35 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi guys,
Thanks a lot for all your help. I managed to install the OS, but not the 9.2 that was stuck, but I installed MAC OS X 10.2 (updated to 10.2.8). It works fine now, but the only problem is no applications work after I updated few applications. When I click on the icons on the dock, all what they do is bouncing and then nothing! The only application that works is the System Preferences.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Jun 20, 2010 1:16 PM in response to BDAqua

Great that you got it going!

The usual solution for that sort of problem is to repair the disk with Disk Utility and then Repair permissions. You boot with Installer CD, then choose Disk Utility from the Installer Menu ( Utilities Menu in 10.3 and later) and run it from there. \[ When you boot to the Installer CD, the boot Hard Drive is free to be completely repaired.]

The "poor man's disk repair" can be done by holding down Shift at Startup. This does one pass of disk repair, then comes up in "Safe Mode" with few extensions loaded.

Mac OS 9.2 stuck on Starting Up screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.