Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black window and black bar in mail when attaching PDF from preview or adobe

Is anyone else getting a black window or black bar appearing inside a mail document when you attach a PDF from preview or adobe? The window grows in size if you type text into the mail.

MacBook 10.6.4 2GHZ intel core 2 duo 4GB ram; also running 10.6 SL on external, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Also have G4 powermac desktop machine running Leopard

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 11:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 11:37 PM

Maybe this will tell you something: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3385
5 replies

Jun 26, 2010 2:36 PM in response to baltwo

I still don't know if I would call this a solution vs. a work-around. In our network of 5 Macs, all running 10.6.4 we are all experiencing the black bars blocking the text. This is very evident in iCal notifications and Address Book updates. It is creating angst for the people outside the net I am sending these to and of course to the five of us.

The instructions in the KB article do not work for received emails on our EUDs, it actually sends the email to the trash. Using the KB, we can select the text but we cannot cut it. That step sends the whole email to the trash. I think the black bar needs to be fixed in a an update.

Jun 29, 2010 9:20 AM in response to Kathleen Theisen

I'm having the same annoying problem with OS X Mail, even when there's no PDF file; I HATE that freakin' black border that expands when you type within its confines. It began when I upgraded to Leopard, and is still there in Snow Leopard. Two posters have confused this with a black background; IT IS NOT A BACKGROUND, it's a BORDER! One called it an "html element selector"; I call it a PITA, and I want it to disappear for good. Somebody must know how to make it go away.

black window and black bar in mail when attaching PDF from preview or adobe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.