1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2014 5:41 PM by Shrimpong
Peter R. Level 4 Level 4 (1,190 points)
Can I copy interesting passages in iBooks and paste them into Pages?

Thank you!

Mac OS X (10.6.3), "Please don't tell me to re-install the whole OS or to buy a new Mac!"
  • 1. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    red555 Level 4 Level 4 (2,550 points)
    I just tried it and as text, no. As a full page screen snap to photo, yes.

So you could highlight the interesting text, screen snap the page, crop the unwanted stuff from the photo and paste the photo in the Pages document.

If it's a short passage, it'd be faster to just type it.

Sorry...
  • 2. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    Thank you for your reply!

That's very disappointing. It means that I can't WORK with iBooks on an iPad. It's a toy, not a tool.
  • 3. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    Tulse Level 5 Level 5 (5,790 points)
    Do the other ebook readers (Kindle, Kobo) allow copy and paste? If not, this may be a copyright issue (or at least a restriction placed by the publishers).
  • 4. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    David M Brewer Level 6 Level 6 (9,200 points)
    Tulse I was thinking the something.
  • 5. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    danegeld Level 2 Level 2 (185 points)
    I just copied and pasted text from iBooks into Pages and into a couple of text editors with no problem at all.
  • 6. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    I just found that the free non-copyrighted books from Gutenburg can be copied and pasted. The copyrighted books you can't copy and paste.

Message was edited by: David M Brewer
  • 7. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    dwharrison Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
    To compare to the Kindle situation, Kindles or Kindle apps don't have copy/paste but the text of user-generated highlights in the books is available. For Kindles, this is stored in a file called My Clippings on the device. For both Kindles and apps, it's also available online in the user's account at kindle.amazon.com.

There may be a length limitation there; I haven't done rigorous testing to see if this is true. But otherwise, you can simply highlight the text you want to copy, sync your device/app, and go to the web site to copy the text. It's fairly roundabout to be sure but it is workable.
  • 8. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    red555 Level 4 Level 4 (2,550 points)
    David M Brewer wrote:
    I just found that the free non-copyrighted books from Gutenburg can be copied and pasted. The copyrighted books you can't copy and paste.

Yes. My test was on a copywrited book.
  • 9. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    ...sorry. Read your post wrong...

Message was edited by: David M Brewer
  • 10. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    The books that I can't copy from has a copyright (usually found on page two) page, can't be copied in whole or in part... If so, this violates copyright laws (loosely transtlated).
  • 11. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    This is absurd. I buy a book, and copyright restrictions allow me to read it but not to extract passages for quotations / scientific work. Oh gods…!
  • 12. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    Were in copying from a copyrighted souce don't you understand. There are laws you know about this. You can write and ask for permission. They do give you that option. When you buy a copyrighted book you don't buy the content to do with it as you please. Fair use doesn't come into play here.

I hope that if you do get permission that you footnote or give acknowledgment somewhere in your paper where you got your information. If you publish and don't, you can get into hot water and be sued.
  • 13. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    No law on earth forbids to quote text from any book ever written as long as you stick with the rules of scientific work.

In the Gutenberg age (i.e. the printed book age), you had to write your quote down. Now you could copy-paste it. It is anachronistic in the digital age to forbid extracting text snippets for scientific work.
  • 14. Re: Copy / paste from iBooks?
    Please give the source (link) to the guidelines for written material used in scientific works.
1 2 Previous Next