You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the Email layout on my IPAD?

Can't seem to find this info anywhere - when I open email on my IPAD it shows a full page of one actual email and if i open the in-box it shows up as a thin column to the left. Is there anyway to change the entire page to the inbox ( not just a small column ) or perhaps a full page inbox with a preview pane below it. Any ideas?

Message was edited by: steveNpa

Message was edited by: steveNpa

IPAD 3G 64GB, Other OS

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 9:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 9:44 PM

The reason it's a problem is that you have no chance to decline to open an email if it's automatically opened in a viewer.

This means that you automatically tell the sender (if they are set up to know) that you exist. And then you keep getting rubbish delivered to you.

THAT, Apple, is why you should change it.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 4, 2017 9:44 PM in response to shoafferection

The reason it's a problem is that you have no chance to decline to open an email if it's automatically opened in a viewer.

This means that you automatically tell the sender (if they are set up to know) that you exist. And then you keep getting rubbish delivered to you.

THAT, Apple, is why you should change it.

Feb 20, 2017 6:59 PM in response to Ethan7988

It's now 2017 and it's still not changed. 😟 I have just replaced my old Android tablet with a new iPad mini 2, and I am very disappointed with the mail app. I have looked through the store for a 3rd party app with the "list" view layout, but I haven't found one yet. I thought the iPad was supposed to be the gold standard, but my Android mail app was much better.

Feb 20, 2017 7:40 PM in response to ajp1228

This is the way many eMail client apps are laid out/styled and work for both iOS and OS X.

Been like this for well over a decade, now. This isn't going to change any time soon!

Most Apple users are very happy with the way thier email apps look and function.

If you aren't happy with the way any of these email client apps work and you cannot find anything that works for you and are frustrated with iOS and your iPad, sell or return your new iPad to Apple or whoever you bought it from (if from Apple, you can return for a full refund within 14 days or less) and go get yourself a brand new Android tablet or Microsoft Surface tablet!

Good Luck to You!

Feb 21, 2017 7:22 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you. I have submitted my feedback to Apple. Maybe some other people will find this post and will also submit feedback asking for the same thing. I do not plan to return the iPad because everything else is working very well. I still use my laptop a lot when I am home and usually read my email on it, but I do not take my good laptop with me when I go out of town. My Yahoo email is the account which has tons of emails and where I most need "list" view, so I will likely just use the web browser for my Yahoo emails unless/until Apple updates their email app or I can find an alternative app which offers the "list" view. (I haven't yet tried the Yahoo mail app on the iPad, but I remember I didn't like it on the old tablet. I think it took up too much storage space.)

Thank you again for the feedback link.

Jul 8, 2017 1:06 PM in response to ajp1228

Interestingly, whilst fiddling about with my yahoo mail on my iPad this morning I somehow ended up with email list only, as on my iPhone and iPad. My happiness was short lived though as it reverted to annoying open email format. I plan to try again and will post if I get a a permanent result.

I have submitted feedback to Apple. I won't hold my breath.

How do I change the Email layout on my IPAD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.