Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Address book/Mail collecting unwanted email addresses

I participate in several education listservs via email. The problem is that hundreds of email addresses are showing up in my address book now, very few of which I actually need. Any suggestions on how to get Address Book or Mail to stop automatically putting these addresses in? Thanks!

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), IPad, iTouch

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 10:16 AM

23 replies

Jun 19, 2010 12:42 PM in response to Mrdrfrank

Mrdrfrank wrote:
I participate in several education listservs via email. The problem is that hundreds of email addresses are showing up in my address book now, very few of which I actually need. Any suggestions on how to get Address Book or Mail to stop automatically putting these addresses in?

Welcome to Apple's discussion groups.

Are those addresses really in your address book, or are they just in Mail's "previous recipients" list (Mail menu Window -> Previous Recipients)? I don't know of any way to prevent addresses from being added to the "Previous Recipients" list, but addresses can be deleted from that list.

Jun 19, 2010 2:25 PM in response to Mrdrfrank

Mrdrfrank wrote:
They are appearing in Address Book. I have manually removed them but they soon reappear again.

Are you using the OS X Mail application? I know of no preference setting or mechanism in that, other than via a contextual menu from an address in an e-mail message, that can cause an entry to be created in Address Book, particularly without overt action. So I guess I can't help you.

Jul 24, 2010 8:46 AM in response to Mrdrfrank

Your responses are still confusing.

Mail has a database of previous recipients. It is not the Address Book.
Address Book is a separate program that you use to store contact information. Mail can use the addresses in Address Book.

So, are the addresses in Address Book or are they just in Previous Recipients (Window menu, Previous Recipients)?

Jan 2, 2011 11:12 AM in response to pvoc3000

Same for me. I become mad each time it happens as I have to spend hours getting rid of spurious addresses one by one. And it just happened 3 days ago ! 😟

It generally happens once every few month. I have never been able to find out whether it occurs after some particular operation or not. The fact is I do not know how to reproduce it. And I have had the problem for several years on several Mac's and several OSs.

For some addresses, Address Book shows the update date. I have thus been able to see that all junk email addresses (a few hundreds) are generally added on a same day, probably at the same time. No other clue whatsoever.

I have searched various Internet forums for a solution but did not find any. I have carefully looked at the manuals of Mail and Address Book: zilch.

Has anybody a workaround ?
E.g., where is the Address Book data stored (to make it read only) ?
Does anybody know how to interpret the contents of the Address Book plist files ?

Feb 8, 2011 4:18 AM in response to TelJr

Yes, exactly the same problem here. It is definitely the application "Address Book" that contains the extra rogue contact information. And it is also definitely triggered by the receipt of an email.

I cleared my Address Book last night. This morning I received a normal weekly email from Misco and, sure enough, Misco's email address suddenly appeared in my Address Book and was subsequently synced via MobileMe to my iPhone. Very, very frustrating.

I'm happy to be a guinea pig if anyone has any ideas to try.

Thanks

Feb 8, 2011 4:30 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney - thanks for your fast response.

I don't know how to check for add-ons. Is that inside Apple Mail?

I only have three rules setup in Apple Mail - one to turn emails from Apple blue, one to turn emails from my wife pink, and the third to move email from one specific recipient to a folder "ON MY MAC". These rules have been working for at least a year.

Address book/Mail collecting unwanted email addresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.