Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SM Bus Controller driver not installed - Where can I find it?

Hello, I'm running Windows XP Pro on a MacBook Pro, but noticed a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager on SM Bus Controller. Automatic re-installation and updating of the driver says "cannot find the necessary software." I've done a ton of forum searching here and there but have been unable to get this device operational. I've been trying to locate and install motherboard chipsets and appropriate drivers, but have been unsuccessful.

The Intel® Driver Update Utility gives the following message for a few categories: This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates.

Graphics Driver - SM Bus Controller
Audio Driver for Intel® Desktop Board
Wireless Networking
Wired Networking

At the moment I'm primarily concerned with the SM Bus Controller.

Any help in getting that exclamation mark off and things running smoothly would be much appreciated. Let me know what additional information might be helpful in diagnosing the problem and finding a solution.

Detected Chipset - Intel(R) GM965 Express Chipset
Memory Controller - 82GM965
I/O Controller - Intel(R) 82801HBM/HEM I/O controller hub (ICH8M) SATA Controller found in IDE mode
Integrated Graphics - Intel(R) 965GM Graphics And Memory Controller Hub(GMCH)

Motherboard:
Manufacturer Apple Inc.
Model Mac-F4238BC8
Version PVT
North Bridge - Intel GM965 Revision C0
South Bridge - Intel 82801HBM (ICH8-ME) Revision C0
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz
Cpu Socket - Socket P (478)

Thanks again!

Message was edited by: GrandDreaming

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 11:51 AM

2 replies

Jun 27, 2010 1:36 PM in response to GrandDreaming

Actually, I used the OS disk that came with the iMac and installed Windows Support drivers and the SM bus driver installed fine on my son's iMac 20" Core2Duo with 2.4GHz processor. The OS Disk version that I used was 10.5.6 I had originally grabbed the wrong disk, from my daughters iMac 20" from 10.5.2 and the SM Bus driver showed same yellow exclamation you mention here... After installing, this also removed the yellow exclamation from my video driver and now I have no items showing trouble. Hope that helps! Good luck.

SM Bus Controller driver not installed - Where can I find it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.