Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mime attachment

I cannot open a mime attachment on my ipad that a friend sends through email. Why and what can I do to open it

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 3:54 PM

I've never found a way to do this.
22 replies

Jun 18, 2010 4:38 PM in response to Bdcriswell

Do you know what the attachment is - a photo, video, or something else?

All email attachments must be encoded with the message before the message is sent. Attachments are encoded with MIME and decoded when received. When seeing MIME attachment, this usually means the attached file is not recognized by the computer or device that received the message - there is no application available that recognizes and can open/view the attachment.

Jul 27, 2010 2:30 AM in response to Bdcriswell

I am getting increasingly frustrated over this issue as well. I use my ipad for work and when people forward an email containing a word file or a pdf-file (files that I can open if they would be emailed directly to me) the "mime-attachment" icon is shown and I have no other way of opening them than asking for a direct send or to use my macbook. I intended to use my ipad equipped with Pages and Numbers for my traveling but as these emails comes in I seem to be stuck with my macbook pro.

Any ideas?

Jul 27, 2010 3:28 PM in response to Allan Sampson

I'm among those with the "mime" issue (also happens occasionally with a jpeg... just get an icon that won't open). That said, this is an issue mainly with one associate and I'm wondering if it is the way he sends the email... uses AOL? Typically, it will be a forward of text. I'm not sure how he does it (he's not very computer literate), but if it is just a forward of an existing message vs a copy/paste from another message, does that make a difference? You wrote the it must "be encoded before the message is sent."

Aug 10, 2010 8:08 AM in response to Bdcriswell

Same basic problem, and - as well as I can recall - the file was a picture (I am always able to open them on my laptop). Thinking, at this point, it is something internal to the iPad. I would at least like to have the option to save it to GoodReader or summat - at least I could take another crack at opening it on my iPad.

Enough about what folks think it is; what is being done about it?

Aug 24, 2010 8:01 AM in response to Bdcriswell

I agree. Having the very same problems on my iPad. Seems to have started this summer regarding file attachments being unreadable .... I think mostly when forwarded by folk on AOL? "Adobe" issues making many
Problems, too. I was going to use my iPad for travel, but don't want the tedious hassles now. Back to laptop 😟

Sep 23, 2010 9:52 AM in response to danegeld

Interesting comment (I hope you don't work for Apple). I guess it is a good reason that a client with several Apple products is unhappy because the device does not work as expected and it seems to be a problem linked to iPad and iPhone while it works on the Mac and PC. Even in case the tecnical issue should be at AOL, I would expect Apple to at least address the issue there and work on a solution.
Even if business goes well at the moment, they will depend on satisfied customers in the longer run.

Mime attachment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.