Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad will not connect at Denver airport (DIAFREEWIFI)

Just got my iPad and this is my first time through the Denver airport with it. I'm finding that the iPad will not connect to the DIAFREEWIFI access point (the one I'm connected to right now with my Macbook). I can connect to this access point with my iPod, my Android G1, and my Macbook. However the iPad refuses to connect simply returning an "Unable to join the network" message. Signal strength is 2 out of 3 bars, I've tried this from both the A and B terminals. I can't believe I'm the first one to try joining this network with an iPad so there has to be something up. I've tried:

- Power off the iPad and restart
- Select "reset network settings"

I can join any of the various other wifi networks here (Den-ipass as well as the various airline, lounge networks). Unfortunately, you need a subscription to use those so joining is not much good.

I have the latest iTunes (9.2) and the iPad is version 3.2.

Is there anything else I can try? Taking this to an Apple store seems like a waste of time since they won't be able to reproduce this problem unless they're at the Denver airport.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 7:39 PM

15 replies

Aug 4, 2010 11:20 AM in response to atatistcheff99

I am at DIA today and am having the same problem. I have connected my iPad to almost every WIFI network I have encountered and it has worked fine. Here i get "Unable to join the network'DIAFREEWIFI'".

I called DIAFREEWIFI tech support line and they told me it was an Apple software issue. I know that is not the case, but it is what they tell people. My MacBookPro and Blackberry have no problems connecting.

My guess is they can not force the advertising pane to the top of the iPad's browser window, so they simply block iPads.

I would love to know the real reason and how to fix it.

Aug 4, 2010 1:13 PM in response to iJustKJ

I would say that it IS an Ipad issue. I had the same difficulties connecting with my Ipad to diafreewifi at Denver airport on 2 trips in late July about 2 weeks apart - last time was last thursday. On this second trip both my iphone 3g and my laptop (a 3 year old fujitsu)detected and connected to the diafreewifi network without problems. The ipad kept connecting and disconnecting. After 2 or 3 times it simply stopped even detecting the diafreewifi network even though the other 2 devices were having no problems.
There is some comaptibility issue here. I have seen the same thing with some but not all other networks while travelling in the last few weeks.

Aug 9, 2010 4:49 AM in response to Thrplms

I am now at DEN, in the AA lounge in concourse A. I am connected to DIAFreeWIFI. I connect almost every Monday at this time.

The connection ais a a little strange, but it is on the server side, not the iPad side. The steps are:

1) Go to settings to make sure you are connected to the free wifi and not one of the couple of subscription services available here.
2) Go to Safari and enter any search item. Doesn't matter what you search on, just do a search.
3) A splash screen will appear asking you to agree to terms, which includes watching 30 secs of advertising
4) Hit the continue button, followed by the connect button and you are on.

This is the same login sequence I have encountered at several hotels. On a pc the splash screen comes up automatically wig IE, but not with Safari. I think it has to do with IE sending out abpage request for the homepage (which for me happens to be google) and Safari not automatically going to a home page (at least I don't have it set to do so, I am not even sure you can set a home page)

Be warned, the free wifi is painfully slow. My 3G iPhone is faster than my wifi iPad here.

Feb 5, 2011 7:51 AM in response to atatistcheff99

This only seems to happen in Denver, probably due to the Meru Firmware not liking the constant changes apple seems to engage in building a better mousetrap.

Disable wireless on the device and power cycle it. When it comes back up go to the settings and select the DIAFREEWIFI SSID and enable wireless connectivity. This will sometimes cause the device to finally accept the IP address assigned for the DIAFREEWIFI SSID, but sometimes it doesn't.

Feb 5, 2011 10:24 AM in response to FreeFi Guy

I should quantify, we see it more often at Denver but again the resolution can be:

Disable wireless on the device and power cycle it. When it comes back up go to the settings and select the DIAFREEWIFI SSID and enable wireless connectivity. This will sometimes cause the device to finally accept the IP address assigned for the DIAFREEWIFI SSID, but sometimes it doesn't.

I am traveling through Denver and oakland on Monday and will try Ipad and iphone log-ins at both airports

Feb 7, 2011 5:43 PM in response to atatistcheff99

It seems to me that this could be an access point issue.
Today I was at b49, connected with my iPad no problems. Flight was moved to b36 and I couldn't connect. Tried all the tips in the thread to no avail. Fired up my iPhone and that could not connect either at the new gate. I don't know what would be the cause of it though, full bars in both places.

iPad will not connect at Denver airport (DIAFREEWIFI)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.