Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse Not Recognized Not Recognized as Such

I just got a Magic Mouse for my Mac Pro (2.8GHz 8-processor, late-2008), running 10.5.8. It connects through Bluetooth fine, but it doesn't seem to be recognized as a Magic Mouse. The "magic" features don't seem to be working. It only seems to do left- and right-clicks.

I also see that it doesn't seem to show up in the System Preferences Keyboard&Mouse panel, Bluetooth tab. No name or battery level is shown.

Yes, I did do a Software Update before and after pairing. Actually, come to think of it, that's not exactly true: Before pairing, I launched Software Update and found that it only had a Security Update pending (very unlikely to have anything to do with the mouse), so I did the pairing and then did the security update. After rebooting from that, I launched Software Update, and it said that I am up-to-date.

The book and the Magic-Mouse box say that 10.5.8 is a sufficiently high OSX version.

Any ideas on this? Thanks, everybody!

Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 processor, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 7:46 PM

14 replies

Jun 18, 2010 9:25 PM in response to mr88cet

Oh, I've also tried removing it and re-adding in the Bluetooth panel. Same result each time: It works just looks like a boring ol' ho-hum mouse (left and right buttons only), and no battery level shown.

I'm not seeing anything flakey about its behavior, by the way. There's nothing intermittent going on, it's just that the "Magic Mouse" doesn't have any "magical" properties.

Jun 18, 2010 10:13 PM in response to mr88cet

I tried hooking it up to my MacBook Pro (which doesn't need it, since it already has an even more "magic" trackpad). That MacBook Pro is running the latest Snow Leopard (10.6.4, I think). I'm seeing exactly the same thing on that machine too: It hooks up fine, and behaves like a completely normal mouse, but has no multi-touch "magic" properties.

Hmmm... I must be doing something wrong.

Jul 31, 2010 5:58 PM in response to mr88cet

I almost certainly found the reason for this problem when I experienced a somewhat similar problem after purchasing the Magic Trackpad today: I had USB Overdrive installed, and it was almost certainly intercepting it and thereby preventing MacOS from servicing it. I couldn't figure out any way around this but to deinstall USB Overdrive.

In hindsight I'm glad that I inadvertently waited for the Magic Trackpad; I like it better!

Aug 1, 2010 10:53 PM in response to crosvs

ok my mistake, i DID have USBOverdrive on my computer.

So here's the exact way to solve the problem:

(1) just re-download and re-install USBOverdrive (www.usboverdrive.com)

(2) restart when prompted

(3) go to the usboverdrive system preferences panel and UNINSTALL IT

(4) restart whether or not prompted

(this SHOULD fix the problem at this point, if not, see further below)

(5) open the bluetooth preferences (or access from the menu) and add a new bluetooth device

(6) pair your trackpad

(7) it is probably working now; but go to the trackpad preferences pane to be sure that you're seeing the new magic trackpad preferences rather than the old macbook pro preferencdes

IF THIS DID NOT WORK:

(8) you need to find ALL references for any file containing "usboverdrive" in the name. possible places to look include:

Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences

Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions

Macintosh HD/Users/YOURNAME/Library/Preferences

(9) DELETE ANY AND ALL FILES CONTANING "USBOVERDRIVE"

(10) restart your computer. Everything should be working now 🙂

Good luck!

Aug 4, 2010 9:26 AM in response to thewolfro

Hi wolfro-

I was in exactly your boat (see my previous posts) - i never knew what usboverdrive was, don't remember ever installing such a thing, and couldn't find it... at first.

but i looked harder, and really encourage you to do the same: miraculously i found it at after a second round of searching.

i did NOT use spotlight (for some reason it didn't find it at first) but manually scrolled through the folders i already listed above.

seriously, go ahead and try again. i'm quite confident you will find it.

best of luck,

--marc

Magic Mouse Not Recognized Not Recognized as Such

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.