Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Unlock Solution

Finally, I am getting a factory unlocked iphone. I fly to Europe multiple times a year so I have multiple sim cards and thus I need an unlocked phone. Here is my solution:

1) To convert my current SIMs to a micro-sim I will buy this: http://www.cutmysim.com/
2) I found a ticket to Toronto, Canada for under $400 via United.

Im going to fly to Canada (from Virginia) in the morning, buy 2 factory unlocked iphone 4s (one for my girl friend) at a Canadian Apple store and get back to Virginia in time for supper.

THAT is my iphone unlock solution. I rather cut of my pinky finger than sign up for another 2 year AT&T contract.

Anyone else doing this?

Intel Imac 24 & 27, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacMini, iphone 2G 3G 3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.2), MacPro

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 7:39 AM

38 replies

Jun 19, 2010 7:46 AM in response to Omer Bila

You don't have to sign up for another two year contract with AT&T with an iPhone purchased in the U.S. In addition to the subsidized or discounted price that requires a two year contract, the iPhone is also sold as the full retail or non-subisdized price which doesn't require signing a two year contract - it is on a month to month basis only and service can be cancelled at any time without an early contract termination fee since there is no contract, but the iPhone remains carrier locked with AT&T.

Since this wouldn't help you with needing an unlocked iPhone, sounds like a plan but have you checked the price to be charged for an unlocked iPhone in Canada?

Jun 19, 2010 7:56 AM in response to Omer Bila

Omer Bila wrote:
Finally, I am getting a factory unlocked iphone. I fly to Europe multiple times a year so I have multiple sim cards and thus I need an unlocked phone. Here is my solution:

1) To convert my current SIMs to a micro-sim I will buy this: http://www.cutmysim.com/
2) I found a ticket to Toronto, Canada for under $400 via United.

Im going to fly to Canada (from Virginia) in the morning, buy 2 factory unlocked iphone 4s (one for my girl friend) at a Canadian Apple store and get back to Virginia in time for supper.

THAT is my iphone unlock solution. I rather cut of my pinky finger than sign up for another 2 year AT&T contract.

Anyone else doing this?

did you add in the fact of the unsubsidized cost of the phone or the subsidized cost of the phone plus what ever etf is required to cancel the contract? Oh and don;t forget flying back to canada if you have warranty issues with the phone, no US apple store will touch it

Last I saw the canadian unlocked 8 GB 3gs is around 549.00 canadian, the 4 unsubsidized prices have not been published yet, would guess around 700 for the 16gb and 800 for the 32gb

Message was edited by: Wingrider01

Jun 19, 2010 8:04 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Why would anyone pay the unsubsidized price for a carrier locked phone? It makes no sense to me since I will need to use AT&T (in the usa) as a carrier to use it; I may as well get another 2 year contract with a subsidized price.

Now, for a factory unlocked iphone it is totally worth it to me to pay the unsubsidized price. It will be around $900 bucks or so and I can use it with any carrier. Paying a $400 fee to unlock 2 iphones and get a nice little day trip to Canada ain't bad either.

Jun 19, 2010 8:06 AM in response to Omer Bila

Omer Bila wrote:
Why would anyone pay the unsubsidized price for a carrier locked phone? It makes no sense to me since I will need to use AT&T (in the usa) as a carrier to use it; I may as well get another 2 year contract with a subsidized price.

Now, for a factory unlocked iphone it is totally worth it to me to pay the unsubsidized price. It will be around $900 bucks or so and I can use it with any carrier. Paying a $400 fee to unlock 2 iphones and get a nice little day trip to Canada ain't bad either.

900 per phone is a little steep for my tastes, not worth it at all. Doubt you will see 900 for two phones since the unsubsidized cost of the 8gb 3gs is already higher then what you think you will be paying.

Jun 19, 2010 8:14 AM in response to Omer Bila

Omer Bila wrote:

To use it with a different plan. Pay as you go, for instance. That said I don't think there's a valid reason for a locked phone with a contract EVER. There's just no reason to lock a phone to a carrier AND require a two year contract. The customer is stuck with you for two years anyway, so no income is lost when subsidizing a phone. They can't just get the phone cheaply and then run to another carrier.

Consumers in the US are getting royally (pardon, presidentially) screwed when it comes to mobile phones. No unlocked phones, paying for incoming texts and calls, insane monthly fees as a result, etc. And to add insult to injury, half the phones in the US won't work at all in other countries anyway because no one else uses CDMA.

I currently pay €22.50 a month (including the VAT) for 150 minutes or texts and unlimited internet access (and that's on the high side because I choose not to be bound by contracts for eternity). That may seem low on the minutes and texts until you realise that this is outgoing only. If someone calls me, I don't pay. If someone texts me, I don't pay. So if I'm mostly someone who is called but rarely makes calls, I could go with the absolute cheapest plan and still not have to pay extra, ever.

Message was edited by: CyBeRino

Jun 19, 2010 8:10 AM in response to Omer Bila

This is why there is Baskin-Robbins ice cream - 31 flavors.

There are some people that don't want a two year contract - prefer being on a month to month basis for whatever their reason or reasons and don't travel out of the country.

Jun 19, 2010 8:29 AM in response to Wingrider01

I believe the iphone warranties are global. Here is part of the warranty agreement for the 3G iphone:

"If you seek service in a country that is not the country of original purchase, you will comply with all applicable export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and parts that comply with local standards. In accordance with applicable law, Apple may require that you furnish proof of purchase details and/or comply with registration requirements before receiving warranty service. Please refer to the accompanying documentation for more details on this and other matters on obtaining warranty service."

Another thread here states that they are country specific: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11248142&#11248142

As far as canceling my AT&T plan goes, I wont. I will just let the last few month run through and sign up with T-Mobile. The iphone 4 is compatible with T-Mobiles 3G network. That, and the fact that AT&T just raised the 2 year cancelation fee to a ridiculous price, makes me think that T-Mobile will actually start carrying the iphone 4 soon anyways.

The $700-900 unsubsidized price doesn't jade me away. I pay AT&T 1 grand every 4 months for a family plan with 2 iphones anyways.

Jun 19, 2010 8:26 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Allan Sampson wrote:

This is why there is Baskin-Robbins ice cream - 31 flavors.

There are some people that don't want a two year contract - prefer being on a month to month basis for whatever their reason or reasons and don't travel out of the country.

I travel out of the county extensively, cheaper to have a phone from the country I am visiting. Don't care about the contract at all. Myself and my employees that travel carry contracts from every tier 1/2 provider in the US and from the countries that we do business in.

Jun 19, 2010 8:38 AM in response to Omer Bila

Omer Bila wrote:
I believe the iphone warranties are global. Here is part of the warranty agreement for the 3G iphone:

"If you seek service in a country that is not the country of original purchase, you will comply with all applicable export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or exchange defective products and parts with comparable products and parts that comply with local standards. In accordance with applicable law, Apple may require that you furnish proof of purchase details and/or comply with registration requirements before receiving warranty service. Please refer to the accompanying documentation for more details on this and other matters on obtaining warranty service."

Another thread here states that they are country specific: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11248142&#11248142

As far as canceling my AT&T plan goes, I wont. I will just let the last few month run through and sign up with T-Mobile. The iphone 4 is compatible with T-Mobiles 3G network. That, and the fact that AT&T just raised the 2 year cancelation fee to a ridiculous price, makes me think that T-Mobile will actually start carrying the iphone 4 soon anyways.

The $700-900 unsubsidized price doesn't jade me away. I pay AT&T 1 grand every 4 months for a family plan with 2 iphones anyways.

May want to verify warranty with an authorized apple store rather then betting on a forum conversation that is not even frequented by Apple employees since they are the ones that will informa you of what is the correct terms of service for the warranty.

1,000 every four months is pocket change. You also might want to verify the frequencies for the 3g network that t-mobile has, they do use frequencies that are not capable of being recieved by the iphone and have seen reposted that t-mobile is not allowing iphones to be added in some locations anymore.

Your money, your error if you are wrong. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Jun 19, 2010 8:58 AM in response to Omer Bila

I just left T-mobile for AT&T and will miss Ts far more professional customer service, however, I was completely over saving a few bucks while being stuck with wifi or edge. I also like the unlimited data, text and minutes plan for 120 per month (give or take). I sold my factory unlocked (australia) 3gs, 32gb for a mere 532.00, after using for six months, pre-ordered the i4 and am happy as a pig in ** 😉

Jun 19, 2010 9:11 AM in response to Omer Bila

Okay. I should really think about what you are doing here and perhaps save your money as there is a fatal flow in your plan:-

If you go to Canada you WILL NOT be able to purchase an iPhone 4 on Thursday 24th and also you say that you are going tomorrow morning - you still would not be able to purchase an iPhone 4 until the Thursday anyway, even if this was possible in Canada.

You can purchase an iPhone 3GS, but not an iPhone 4 - so if you want an iPhone I would save your money and wait until next month.

iPhone 4 Unlock Solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.