Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen going glitchy, fan kicking up

Whenever I start my iMac G5, I get a combination of moving black dots and the screen and some odd flickering. Imagine the Apple logo at startup with a breeze blowing in from the left blowing a wisp of pixels to the right. It'll continue flickering until it hits the desktop when it will eventually turn to a solid series of gradients with no way to see the desktop. At times the fan will kick up to full speed. Ideas?

Power Mac/iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 5:44 PM

Sounds like it might be the video card on the Logic Board. Run the Apple Hardware Test booted from the "Additional Software Disc" by holding down the D key. Select Extended and run it a few times. Write down any error code you get and from what part of the test it appears.

+Before using Apple Hardware Test, disconnect all external devices with the exception of keyboard, mouse, display, and speakers. You should also disconnect the Ethernet network cable. If you are using the MacBook Air, you may need to connect the MacBook Air SuperDrive. Print out these instructions before proceeding with the following steps.+

+1. Restart your computer, holding down the “D” key while the computer restarts.+
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2010 5:44 PM in response to spiffking03

Sounds like it might be the video card on the Logic Board. Run the Apple Hardware Test booted from the "Additional Software Disc" by holding down the D key. Select Extended and run it a few times. Write down any error code you get and from what part of the test it appears.

+Before using Apple Hardware Test, disconnect all external devices with the exception of keyboard, mouse, display, and speakers. You should also disconnect the Ethernet network cable. If you are using the MacBook Air, you may need to connect the MacBook Air SuperDrive. Print out these instructions before proceeding with the following steps.+

+1. Restart your computer, holding down the “D” key while the computer restarts.+

Screen going glitchy, fan kicking up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.