Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Intel iMac's RAM from 3GB to 4GB and change Graphics Card

Hi,
I have 20" Intel iMac (November 2008) and it has 3GB of memory as of now. I would like to upgrade it to 4GB. I need to know if Apple will do this for me at my local Apple Store and how much this will cost. Also, I want to change my video card from ATI to Nvidia. Is this even possible? If so, please give me some details about it. I am more concerned abut the RAM issue.

Thank You!!!

Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 20", 3GB Memory

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 5:39 PM

They almost certainly will be willing and able to do that, but you'll have to get an estimate from the store on the cost. To get a ballpark figure, check Apple's website and see what 4GB of DDR2 SO-DIMMs would run you, then add about $100 for labor. Honestly, there's no real point to paying someone to do this. All you do is take a Philips #2 screwdriver to the screw on the little panel at the bottom of the iMac. Once you losen that, the panel comes off, and there are little black plastic flaps that let you pull the RAM out so you can grasp it with your hands. Then you just push the new RAM in until you feel it snap into place, fold the black plastic tabs over it, and put the panel back on. Once you have the RAM, it'll probably be a 5-10 minute job, tops. Just be sure not to do it while the system is on or plugged in. If you do it yourself you can buy DDR2 SO-DIMMs anyone. Apple will charge a hefty premium because they have to cover the costs of potentially having to replace them under warranty.

As for the video card... It's technically possible, but it would be so ridiculously expensive for just swapping the equivalent nVidia card for your ATI one, it would be downright stupid to pay to have it done. So for all practical purposes, it's not possible.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2010 5:39 PM in response to Carpetfizz

They almost certainly will be willing and able to do that, but you'll have to get an estimate from the store on the cost. To get a ballpark figure, check Apple's website and see what 4GB of DDR2 SO-DIMMs would run you, then add about $100 for labor. Honestly, there's no real point to paying someone to do this. All you do is take a Philips #2 screwdriver to the screw on the little panel at the bottom of the iMac. Once you losen that, the panel comes off, and there are little black plastic flaps that let you pull the RAM out so you can grasp it with your hands. Then you just push the new RAM in until you feel it snap into place, fold the black plastic tabs over it, and put the panel back on. Once you have the RAM, it'll probably be a 5-10 minute job, tops. Just be sure not to do it while the system is on or plugged in. If you do it yourself you can buy DDR2 SO-DIMMs anyone. Apple will charge a hefty premium because they have to cover the costs of potentially having to replace them under warranty.

As for the video card... It's technically possible, but it would be so ridiculously expensive for just swapping the equivalent nVidia card for your ATI one, it would be downright stupid to pay to have it done. So for all practical purposes, it's not possible.

Jun 19, 2010 8:29 PM in response to Carpetfizz

As for RAM, I would suggest checking OWC - they have reasonable prices, good service, and an advance replacement lifetime guarantee:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

And swapping RAM is a pretty easy and painless process.

Almost all iMacs have the graphics card soldered to the logic board making that process prohibitively expensive even if it could be done.

Upgrade Intel iMac's RAM from 3GB to 4GB and change Graphics Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.