Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod classic crashing iTunes

I just updated to iTunes 9 - the first time I plugged in with my iPod classic (120GB) I got a "Verifying Tom's iPod" message in the marquis, then the rainbow spinning wheel of death. On Force Quit window, iTunes reported as not responding. I had to force quit then eject. Did this a few times, then on the 3rd try I just let it be longer than the 2 minutes I had allowed and eventually (3-4 min) it was recognized and sync'ed fine.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 6:15 PM

7 replies

Jun 21, 2010 9:29 PM in response to tomsull40

I just wanted to get on here and say "THANK YOU!" for your post. I was at my wits end trying to get my ipod to sync. I didnt know what else to do, I did 4 of the 5 R's (reset, restart, reinstall and retry). I did not want to do a restore and was double checking all my options before I made that plunge. Then I came upon your post and you had the EXACT same problem I did and I took your advice and you were right. Patience is a virtue, and I am sad to say that I do not have it, lol. Once again, thank you so much for your post. I really appreciate it. Shana.

Jun 22, 2010 10:42 PM in response to tomsull40

*Just be patient!*
I called Apple after my upgrade to 9.2 caused itunes to freeze up when connecting a ipod classic. Apple informed me to just wait! That after 10 minutes or so it would unfreeze and sync. So I did and then restored ipod classic and it worked. BS, but who am I to complain, my 25,000 songs where synced good to go. But APPLE FIX THIS PLEASE. Like everyone else is saying if you update software and then your ipod crashes and is not under warranty THATS BS. What would stop Apple from releasing software updates that crash old, outdated products forcing your hand to purchase a new one? And dont give me that stuff about Apple is the good guy! They had the F.B.I. raid that Gizmodo.com guys house.

Jun 24, 2010 1:25 AM in response to tomsull40

I've been having the same problem with i tunes locking up about 50% of the time when I plug in my i pod classic. I tried waiting for 10 minutes or so, and eventually the i pod synced but i tunes still locks up and the task manager shows it as "not responding." Task manager will not close i tunes, instead I have to restart my computer and force i tunes to close.

Jun 26, 2010 1:17 AM in response to tomsull40

Thank you all for this post, I have exactly the same problem: upgraded to iTunes 9.2 (61), plugged the iPod (150GB), "verifying" message, rainbows forever after.. I did ⌘ altesc, saw not responding after the iTunes application, forced the closure a couple of times and then I luckly came across this post BEFORE wasting time on anything else. I gave him about 10 minutes and iTunes was back to life, managed to complete the sync (a complete one, d'oh!) and everything was running fine, eventually.
Please Apple wake up and fix this thing!

iPod classic crashing iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.