Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5 - HTML 5 Geolocation doesn't work

Hey guys!

I have installed Safari Version 5.0 (6533.16) and the HTML 5 geolocation doesn't work.

I have re-installed Safari, used the Guest Account but none of the HTML 5 demos are able to detect my location.

My MacBook (same network) has the same issues.

What other things can interfere with this function?

P.S. All of those demos work fine on Firefox (same machine)

iMac 24'', Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 9:30 AM

10 replies

Jun 20, 2010 9:41 AM in response to MrNase

HI,

Open System Preferences / Security and select the General tab.

Click the gold padlock icon bottom left in the pane to make any necessary changes. You will be prompted for your admin password.

If necessary, make sure: Disable Location Services is not selected. Click: Reset Warnings.

Relaunch Safari. See if that made a difference.

Carolyn 🙂

Jun 20, 2010 10:28 AM in response to MrNase

Carolyn, thanks for your reply. 🙂

However, it doesn't work.

I have tested it with the following devices:
iMac, Safari 5, OS X 10.6.4 (wired to the router)
MacBook, Safari 5, OS X 10.6.4 (connected via Internet-Sharing)
iPhone 3GS, 3.1.3 (connected via Internet-Sharing)

iMac, doesn't work
MacBook, doesn't work
iPhone, does work. But I suppose it's using the cellular data.

The strange thing is that both devices, iMac and MacBook, have the same problems.

The website I am currently using is http://html5demos.com/geo

When I disable the Location Services (they were enabled) the website shows 'failed' right from the start. With the Location Services enabled the website tries to find my location but after 5 seconds it shows 'failed'.

Again: Firefox does it without any problems. On both machines. 🙂

- Dominik

Message was edited by: MrNase

Feb 22, 2011 1:00 AM in response to teryan2006

Hi All,

I use wireless and have exactly the same problem. Have tried to turn on and off Geo location, erased the warning messages, turned on and off the Wireless connection to no avail.
Safari will fail in about 5 to 10 secs
Chrome will remain stuck with the message Checking
Firefox will succeed

Anything else I can look at to make this work ?

Thanks

-R

Dec 29, 2011 10:08 AM in response to MrNase

I recently had the same problem with Safari reporting the incorrect location on my MacBook Pro, but the correct location on my iMac (both connected to the same network). After talking with Apple Care Support, clearing the PRAM seemed to fix the issue. To clear the PRAM on my MacBook Pro running Lion, I shutdown my computer, then pressed and released the power button, and finally pressed and held the following keys: P, R, Option, and Command. Continue holding all 4 keys until a second startup chime sounds, then release them. That's what finally seemed to do the trick for me, perhaps it might work for you as well.

Safari 5 - HTML 5 Geolocation doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.