Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do with old mini?

I am planning to buy the new Mac mini 2.4GHz : 320GB.

The trouble is old one is working well. But a prefer the new one which has many new features and better graphics. So what are the options I have to keep using the old one.

Mac Mini (Tiger), Macbook (Leapord), AXn, Virgin internet by Netgear, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Mac mini connected to 32" HDTV

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 3:41 PM

6 replies

Jun 20, 2010 4:05 PM in response to Badrakumar

File server. The Mini is GREAT as a tiny little headless, low power, out of the way, forget it's even there, file server. It can also be your disaster recovery system. Should anything happen to the new Mini, the old one can take its place while it's in the shop.

It could even be a guest system if you have a guest room, while still functioning as a file server. Only problem is if it crashes or your guest shuts it down while sleeping, it'd be a little difficult to get in there to turn it back on or deal with it.

Those are just two possibilities.

Jun 21, 2010 2:43 AM in response to Scott Billings

"File server. The Mini is GREAT as a tiny little headless, low power"

Dear Scott Billing
That is an interesting suggesition. How do I do that?
I tell you what I have - I have a Mac book - Leopard, Iomeg 750GB ext hard drive connected to Mini, Airport Express base station and an internet connection via Net gear wireless modem.
Please tell me what I need and how to go about it.
Thanks
Badrakumar

Jun 21, 2010 2:43 AM in response to Badrakumar

Either sell it off, apple machines usually get good prices at the second hand market or one of the other options already mentioned.
From my last three mac minis, one was sold off, with 30% less than the original price, the second one went to my father, and the third one will stick at least 1-2 new revisions until Apple lowers the price again. (I see no reason for now to upgrade, I would get less for full price)

What to do with old mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.