Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newest Version of iTunes and Windows Logo problem

I just tried to download the newest version of iTunes, but I get a warning about how it does not meet Windows Logo requirements and how it could change my entire computer system. Can this happen?! My iTunes is an older version and it has been working fine, up until now. When I try to open iTunes now I get this message "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close". I can't even charge my iPod.

Inspiron, Windows XP

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 3:50 PM

36 replies

Jun 20, 2010 10:03 PM in response to Dmax34

I just tried to download the newest version of iTunes, but I get a warning about how it does not meet Windows Logo requirements and how it could change my entire computer system.

When you get that when you try to install iTunes, it usually indicates that the installer got damaged during the download (although there's a few more serious underlying things wrong with the PC that can be in play too).

Did you continue with the installation after getting that message, and now you're getting the "experienced a problem" message? Or was the "encountered a problem" message what you were trying to fix by upgrading?

Jun 21, 2010 4:37 AM in response to b noir

I did not continue with the installation after that message, I was too afraid it would mess up my entire computer system. I was upgrading because my iTunes simply won't open anymore. I continuously get the message that Windows has encountered a problem and must close. I thought that by upgrading my version of iTunes, I might get around this particular problem. Instead, I have encountered more problems!

Jun 21, 2010 5:05 AM in response to Dmax34

🙂 Many thanks.

Okay, let's try to get to the bottom of the launch error.

Generate another of the "iTunes has encountered a problem" errors, and click on the "Click here" link in the error message box.

What ModName and ModVer appear in the box that comes up? (Precise text please).

If the box that comes up doesn't have a ModName or ModVer, let us know what type of error it describes. For example, is it an AppCrash, InPageError or BEX?

Jun 21, 2010 6:04 PM in response to Dmax34

The ModName is objc.dll
The ModVer is 1.435.14.16

Perfect. The iTunes launch error looks to be being caused by trouble with an Application Support dll (iTunes needs a properly working Apple Application Support in order to work properly).

We maaaaay be able to get past this without having to reinstall iTunes ... but it's going to depend on what version of Apple Application Support you have installed. (There was a bug in early versions of AAS which would prevent the trick I have in mind from working.)

Can you check something for me?

Open your Add or Remove Programs control panel, select the Apple Application Support entry. Click on the "Click here for support information" link.

In the little box that shows up, is your Apple Application Support version number *1.2.0 or higher?*

(The trick I have in mind doesn't work reliably for versions 1.0.1 or 1.1.0, unfortunately.)

Jun 22, 2010 3:08 PM in response to Dmax34

🙂 Thanks again. Let's try the trick.

Quit QuickTime, Safari or the MobileMe control panel if any of those are currently open.

In "My Computer", open "Local Disk C:" or whichever drive your program files are installed on.
Open the "Program Files" folder.
Open the "Common Files" folder.
Open the "Apple" folder.
Drag the "Apple Application Support" folder out onto your Desktop.

Now open your "Add or Remove Program" control panel. Select "Apple Application Support". Click "Change" and then click "Repair". (The repair install should replace the program files we removed.)

Does the repair install seem to go through without error? If so, restart the PC and try launching iTunes again. Does it launch properly now with the fresh AAS program files in place?

Jun 22, 2010 6:06 PM in response to Dmax34

I am tempted to uninstall that, but I think that you need QuickTime to also run iTunes?

Yes that's right. QuickTime provides all the audio and video playback capabilities for iTunes. (Conceptually, you don't go too far wrong thinking of iTunes as a gigantic QuickTime plug-in.)

The QuickTime update will probably have been what updated your AAS to version 1.3.0, assuming that you haven't already installed Safari 5.0 (the installer bundle for that also includes an AAS version 1.3.0).

Can you check the Click here link in one of those error message boxes again, please? Is it still citing the same ModName and ModVer as before?

Jun 23, 2010 3:23 PM in response to Dmax34

Thanks again, Diane.

The ModName is objc.dll
ModVer is 1.435.14.16

Same one again, and it's the correct version of objc.dll for an Apple Application Support version 1.3.0.

Could you check something else for me please? Try launching your QuickTime Player. Does that launch properly, or do you get a "QuickTime has encountered a problem" message? If you get the QuickTime message, click the "Click here" box in the QuickTime error message box. Does it say that the QuickTime problem is a BEX?

Jun 23, 2010 3:48 PM in response to b noir

The QuickTime Player launches okay. I even opened a movie trailer using it and it played just fine. I thought that may have been the problem too! I'm at a loss. I went into iTunes itself, online, the actual store and everything went fine. I perused the songs, everything was okay. I plugged my iPod in with iTunes open and I got the same frustrating message again. Windows has encountered a problem and must close.

Jun 23, 2010 5:33 PM in response to Dmax34

🙂 No problem.

I think we'd better check to see if this is user-account specific or systemwide on the PC. (I don't usually associate objc.dll faults with user-account-specific problems, but this one isn't behaving like more familiar sorts of systemwide issues.)

This isn't going to be a fix in itself, but it'll give us a heads-up on what to try next with the troubleshooting.

Go into your user accounts control panel and create a new user account with full administrative rights.

Log out of your usual account and log into the new account. (Don't use fast user switching to move between accounts.)

Inside the new account, try launching iTunes. If it launches, the iTunes Setup assistant will run. When prompted to do so, don't add new files to the library ... just let it eventually open to an empty library.

... does it open to an empty library? Or do we get the same sort of error message citing the same objc.dll module?

Newest Version of iTunes and Windows Logo problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.