Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

20MB download limit on 3G?

I have often seen mention of a 20MB download limit on 3G for the iPad.
I do not have my iPad yet (July here) but ALL my internet access is on 3G mobile.
Have just downloaded the combo update for 10.6.4. so obviously no 3G limit on my MacBook Pro.
So is the 20MB download limit for the iPad worldwide or just through AT&T in the US?

MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.4), June '08. Firewire 400 + 800

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 6:37 PM

Worldwide for downloading apps/movies, etc directly to the iPad over 3G.
16 replies

Jun 21, 2010 5:30 AM in response to Ashka

There is only a limit in the sense that you must buy a data plan that allows either 200MB per month or 2GB per month of data usage...(allowing for overage)

The 20MB limit you're referring to is only specific to iTunes...Apple has placed a limit on the size of apps that can be downloaded via 3G vs needing WIFI... that limit is 20MB...so if you are trying to download an apps that is over 20MB you will need to connect to a WIFI network in order to get it...

This limit is not part of the limit with the data you purchase and use each month to use

Jun 21, 2010 1:34 PM in response to ShadyMac

Thanks guys but this is not making much sense.. I am NOT in the US.

I do NOT have access to WiFi or streaming. My only internet access is via 3G with a 4gig monthly data plan..
At this stage I'm downloading everything for my future iPad through iTunes on my Mac over 3G. Music, iBooks, iWork, Apps & Videos etc.

The iPad will have a micro sim with a 1 or 2Gig 3G data plan. No WiFi access unless I share my Macs 3G access through Airport which seems rather daft.

The question remains, 20MB limit worldwide or just for the US.

Jun 25, 2010 7:04 PM in response to Ashka

I'm in OZ i have a 64g Ipad with 3g and Unfortunately the 20MB download limit still applies.

i believe the limit was put in place by or for the benefit of the AT&T network in the US because they couldn't handle the data usage when the iPhone came out.
in oz Apple has kept the limit in place i don't know if this is at the request of the telecos or just Apple being Apple.

it ***** if you want to download a large app of a tv show you will have to hit macas or fire up the macbook.

Jun 30, 2010 7:16 PM in response to Ashka

No more worries about the 20MB download limit....

I have decided to purchase a NetComm 3G travel router t1.
A MiFi would work but only with one of the 2 main mobile networks here.

Just put the 3G USB Modem into the router and hay presto WiFi. 🙂 (Sim only into MiFi)
Save by buying a WiFi only iPad, share the one 3G data plan with Laptops and multiple iPads.

Sep 26, 2010 1:40 AM in response to Apollo8

Yeah this is a stupid rule, I'm in Italy and I have a 3G sim with a 10gb monthly limit, I bought the iPad here as I'm on a yacht and don't have wifi access and want to be bake to download my tv shows, however I can't do it still. If I'd known I would have bought the wifi iPad and a separate adapter for a 'dongle' and that would have been that. I'm so annoyed that this isn't made well known for people buying them.

Oct 23, 2011 3:52 AM in response to Ashka

Hi I'm in Uganda ang I am using orange 3G network and still faced with the same 20mb download limit.

I don't think this limit applies on the 3G carrier generally but rather I believe it's Apple Inc oriented because i've read posts from many people acros the globe and everyone is faced with the same fate.

So I was wondering has anyone come with the solution to this dilemma

Feb 24, 2012 8:27 AM in response to Ashka

I am in Canada with Sask-Tel and having the same issue. I live in a rural area and 3G from my phone is my only source of internet, I have no other options other than a satellite dish for an additional $100 a month plus $500 for install and satellite equipment. I am already paying for unlimited on my phone, now because of Apple I am going to have to pay that extra hundred a month to get movies and apps from i-tunes. Ripped me right off when I found out that Blackberry does not have those restrictions and I could save that money if I would have went with them. I used to love my Apple products. I will be making my way to the feedback page shortly!!!! And WHY has Apple not set up Chat support?????

20MB download limit on 3G?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.