Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mail and Microsoft Exchange server

I set up a Microsoft Exchange server email account with an iPod Touch, and was surprised how easy it was. It simply worked.

Mac OS X Mail has Exchange support, but I can't seem to set up the same account with Mail. It simply won't get past the incoming mail server (mail.companyname.com) step. Without Mail, my only alternative is to use Microsoft Outlook Web Access, which is as fine an example of fail as things get.

The only thing different about the iPod was that it has a specific "domain" field. I tried prefacing my login name with it, followed by all the usual Windows-esque characters (backslash, forward-slash ad nauseum) and nothing works.

It ought to be easy...?

Powerbooks  iMacs  iPods  Airports  and everything Apple , Mac OS X (10.4.11),  25 years Apple!  "it's" means "it is"  or "it has"  and nothing else  ever

Posted on Jun 21, 2010 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2010 4:14 PM

10.6.3+ have many improvements for MS Exchange, but on 10.4 did you open Directory Access in Utilities & setup the Domain & such?
7 replies

Jun 21, 2010 8:54 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BD, I've never paid Directory Access any attention at all - actually, I never even knew it was there! Unfortunately I have no idea what to do with it. Microsoft Exchange Server is a complete mystery to me, though all that was required with the iPod was to specify the domain name to make it work. Where would that go in Directory Access?

Any suggestions?

Jun 21, 2010 9:06 PM in response to John Galt

Microsoft Exchange Server is a complete mystery to me too!

I'm not on 10.4.x right now & Directory Access was sadly dropped on 10.5/10.6, but unlock the lock, try clicking on those categories there, but IIRC, it's either Active Directory or SMB/CIFS & Configure button.

though all that was required with the iPod was to specify the domain name to make it work.

Much the same in 10.6.x I understand... no exchange server available to me to even try in 10.4/10.5/10.6.

Jun 21, 2010 9:58 PM in response to BDAqua

I came across this helpful document:

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.20/20.12/UsingEntourage/index.html

Unfortunately I'm getting nowhere - I'd still need an admin name and password from the company's IT department, and they live in a very Windows-centric world. A world with no windows to the outside, it would seem. The mere mention of anything Apple elicits utter hostility. It's actually very amusing.

Microsoft's webmail interface is simply awful. Looks like a page beat with an ugly stick. Meanwhile, Exchange works so well on the iPhone, a fact that has the IT department completely apoplectic. Everyone is using this company's email on an iPhone, despite their complete denial of its existence.

Like I say, very amusing.

Jun 22, 2010 10:43 PM in response to BDAqua

PS. If too many people used Macs their IT jobs would be lost!

That's no joke. I think they're particularly sensitive to this fact.

IT just supplied me a brand new HP laptop - my three year old HP was "no longer economical to maintain" so they said. Three years... and it's junk!

After running the new one for a few days, I've come to the conclusion it's even slower and more finicky than the one it replaced. I'd prefer the old one back, yet they can't support it. My ten year old G4 Powerbook is faster, one reason I want to run Exchange on it instead.

Another factoid... even with no additional software installed - just the basic OS, without MS Office or anything special - *over one hundred gigabytes* is already used by Windoes. Leaving me with less than 100 GB left for actual work.

Thanks for your help BD... I'll keep trying, can't resist the challenge.

OS X Mail and Microsoft Exchange server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.