Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you transfer PDFs from mail to iBooks?

How do you transfer PDFs to iBooks? I just installed the latest update.

iMac, Macbook Pro, and iPad 16 GB Wi-Fi, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 21, 2010 4:51 PM

11 replies

Jun 21, 2010 5:15 PM in response to Mulderscully

Can I move a PDF that I received in mail on my iPad to iBooks on my iPad?

Yes. Tap and hold the attachment icon until the option window opens and then select the "Open in iBooks" option or open an attachment in "QuickLook" which has an "Open In" button which temporarily appears (or can be recalled by tapping on the screen area) for opening in iBooks or other recognized PDF reader app (like Good Reader).

User uploaded file

Jun 21, 2010 6:36 PM in response to Mulderscully

Unfortunatly, there is no attachment icon. When I rotate the iPad to portrait view, the message pane on the left shows the paperclip attachment symbol and says it's a PDF. The PDF opens on the right so I can read it.

If you are saying this is a single page PDF which, by default, automatically opens in Mail as viewable file rather than an attachment, then your your only real option is to open the message in Mail on your computer, twist the attachment triangle to display the attachment icon, and then "drag 'n drop" the icon to iTunes (or use another PDF management work flow) for sync to iBooks using "normal" routines from your computer. Other that that, about the only way to save it directly to the iPad is as a "photo" image to be displayed in the Photos app.

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2010 12:36 PM in response to Mulderscully

I don't think it's possible to do this on the iPad, or more specifically in iOS 3.2. In iOS 4, when you get a PDF in Mail or click on one in Safari (or anyplace else I assume), you get a pop up asking if you'd like to read the PDF in iBooks. Doing so saves the PDF to your iBooks app for future reading.

I don't believe we'll have this functionality on the iPad until iOS 4 ships for it in November.

Aug 17, 2010 12:59 PM in response to Mulderscully

In the latest update to iBooks, you open the pdf attachment through Mail, and when the document opens in the native Mail reader, there will be a button at the upper right corner that reads "Open in". Click that button, and you will have a pull-down of the programs available on the iPad to open, read, and save the file. So I can read pdf and docx files in iBooks now, and the iBooks application will now have a books tab and a files tab so you keep them straight.

Jun 22, 2011 10:18 AM in response to Mulderscully

Very Simple, BUT, it requires you to buy "iAnnotate PDF" application which costs $ 9.99 on iTunes store under Apps. for your PDF emal attchments, and also you will have to buy "Quick Office" for iPad which costs $ 9.99 from the same place, and I will now proceed to explain you why.

For the PDF attachment, you press the PDF file and select Open with "iAnnotate PDF". Once the document opens, on the top press an icon that looks like a "file folder with an arrow pointing to the right". This will give you the selction, use the "Open in" and then select and press either of the three options according to what you have done to the document in case that you had made annotations to it, or if you want to keep it in original. By doing so, it will open another selection window with the applications installed in you iPad that are able to view the PDF file once it is transferred; ie., one of them bieng, iBooks. If you press iBooks it will automatically transfer the file and you can view it in your iBooks library the next time that you open this application and will remain in it until you physically delete it.

For the other attachments, such as, PPT, DOC, XLS, etc., follow the same procedure to open the attachment.

Once the attachment opens you will notice an icon in the right upper corner that looks like a "file folder with an arrow pointing to the right". Press on it and this will give you the selction window. Use the "Open in" and then select and press "iAnnotate PDF". Then follow the procedure described above for PDF files to send them to iBooks, and you are done transferring your attachment.

Try it as I just did it and worked flawlessly and like a charm.

Now I can enjoy my iPad much better.

Good Luck to you all.

Manuel E. Menendez

Aug 21, 2011 8:16 PM in response to Mulderscully

1)link your Ipad to the computer

2)download the attachment to your computer

3)download the utorrent from google into your computer,its free(need internet connection)

4)double-click the file

5)click open

6)open with utorrent(need internet connection)

7)wait till it finish downloading(it will show seeding once done)

8)double click the file in utorrent

9)choose the EPUB file

10)drag and drop it into the Itunes

11)link your ipad to the computer and sync it(need to have Ibooks in Ipad)(u can download it in app store,its free)

12)click "sync only choosen file" or something like that

13)once sync is done, check the Ibooks in your Ipad. Done.

How do you transfer PDFs from mail to iBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.