Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just to understand about the 8gb 3rd generation

I did update to version 4 tonight .. and realized there's no multitasking or other features that Apple is marketing .. Can't deny I'm really disappointed to know that I can't get those features to work on a hardware that is not even 6 months old .. even better .. something that is still on sale as the 8Gb 3rd generation ..

When iOS4 was introduced they said 3rd generations iPods would work with it .. now u really need to go and read the fine print ... and discover that it's only for 32 and 64 GB ...

Fine print is never a good thing ...

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 21, 2010 11:25 PM

11 replies

Jun 22, 2010 6:50 AM in response to james1231

I understand your point .. but it shouldn't be like that .. it should be printed on the iPod package big letters that you can do a limited upgrade to OS4.

I understand technology is improving very fast but a brand new hardware shouldn't be consider old in just a couple of days ...

Just my 2¢

Jun 22, 2010 8:10 AM in response to fly

The 8GB iPod touch is not a "3rd generation" as far as the hardware is concerned. Some dealers have misleadingly referred to the 8GB iPod touch with the 3.x OS as "3rd generation", but that is incorrect. Apple in fact never referred to any iPod touch by generation until iOS 4 was announced. The only iPod touch models with the "3rd generation" hardware are the 32GB and 64GB units introduced in late 2009. If you have an 8GB iPod touch, is it a 2nd-generation unit as regards the hardware.

Jun 22, 2010 8:51 AM in response to varjak paw

Fair enough .. but a couple of things .. National dealers like Best Buy even today .. and you can verify that on their web site are referring to iPod touch 8 Gb as 3rd generation .. so I think Apple need to step up and force them not to use that marketing statement ... Apple is talking about 3rd generation on their web site .. than have a note at the bottom saying (32 and 64 Gb) ... the 2nd generation is mentioned as Late 2008 ... I got my iPod in 2010 ... so technically is nowhere to be found ...

And I'm talking about all the not tech people going to buy an iPod now and discover after it will never get the features Apple is marketing so much ..

Now .. do you think people will get ******?

Jun 22, 2010 10:06 AM in response to fly

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shopipod/family/ipodtouch?mco=MTAyNTQzMjU
This is how apple advertises. Note under 8GB it doesn't say 3rd gen.

Electronic Retailers will call the 8GB with 3.0 software 3rd gen. When it first came out they needed to distinguish the 2nd gen ipod touches that were on their store shelves with 2.0 software from the (same hardware) ones with 3.0 software.

Jun 22, 2010 10:13 AM in response to james1231

James, there are people out there that don't even understand the difference between 32 and 64 Gb ... sure we can look into all the small prints ... but I do think this will just create lots of confusion and people getting upset ..

Maybe calling it 3rd generation wasn't the smartest idea after all ...

Just to understand about the 8gb 3rd generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.